I did a 75% water change. There's still white stuff that I couldn't get out though....I threw away the old stocking and put a new one on. I also opened the filter up to see if it was there, and sure enough every inch was covered in this white stuff. I left the actual sponge part in the tank water and cleaned the rest out in the sink. I got most of the stuff off, but there were some little nooks that even the q tip couldn't reach. Is this a fungal infection? Is it ok that I was cleaning this out? I don't want to get sick or anything! I washed my hands and EVERY inch of my dorm that I could have possibly touched while cleaning the tank.
no, you usually wouldn't see fungal things like that. I know there's something called dust algae but I don't think that's it. It could have been ornaments or it could be meds. There's a multitude of things that it could be but all of them are harmless. So it's fine.
You can clean the filter as long as you don't let it dry out and best not to use straight tap because of the chlorine which can kill bacteria. So it would be better to have a bucket with conditioned tap water to clean it out in and then next water change just wish out the sponge in the old tank water and that should be good to go.
I'm pretty sure it was the columns. I took them out on Friday and have gotten most of the paint out. There are still little specks that pop up here and there. I'll have it all out within the next two water changes.
I've been doing water changes for a week now and have not seen a change in my parameters. Is that normal? I know you told me to change the water every hour until it went down, but I just don't have the time. I'm taking 18 hours this semester and have been writing papers and translating all weekend.
Yeah, sometimes it takes multiple changes. You don't necessarily have to wait an hour, if you know that it most likely hasn't changed, just do another change right away and then later in the day you can check it and see how it's gone.
Yeah, I dread to think about my classes and how I'm going to take care of my tanks too that's why some have to find some new homes unfortunately :-/
Starfish, I completely forgot to check the tap ammonia earlier, so I checked it last night. Sure enough, the ammonia came out as .25ppm. Thank you for recommending that I check the tap water. I would have never thought of it!
So now what? Is it ok if the ammonia is just high? I had a betta fish, Pontus Rex, at school last year from January to May. He was perfectly fine, and I'm assuming all water on campus is the same.
There is a great product called seachem prime that you can use. It converts the ammonia to a non-toxic form. You use two drops per gallon. You also want to get yourself an eyedropper because it doesn't come with one.
I just read in another thread yesterday (have no idea which thread it was) that when you use prime to remove ammonia, you may still get an ammonia reading on your test kit because it is being changed to ammonium. Apparently there is a test you can get which will test both the ammonia and ammonium.
I would definitely get the prime, because if the ammonia is .25 coming out of your tap, that really is the highest it should ever be. So after the fish is in that water for a day or so, the ammonia will be above .25 and that is way too high.
I looked on the seachem support site, and it stated that the prime will be effective for 24–48 hours. so after that time, I would add another two drops per gallon. Then after the four days it should be about time for a water change anyway. I wouldn't keep adding prime too many times without doing water changes in between.
You don't need to use stress coat with prime because it removes ammonia, nitrate, nitrite chlorine and chloramines and heavy metals. Basically everything you would want removed from your water :)