Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #31 
Haleigh

Starfish, thanks so much for all the information! I went out and bought some Prime. I couldn't find eyedroppers, but the pharmacists at Target gave me some medicine administering syringes, haha.

Some questions:

1. Can I still use Prime with StressCoat+ or will they counteract each other? I really like StressCoat and want to keep using it.

2. Do I add the Prime to the water like any other water conditioner (ie. before adding new water during a water change)?

3. Will I be overdoing it if I add Prime to the water twice for the four days? I have 5.5 gallon tanks, so that would be 20 drops.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #32 
Starfish1

Hi! I'm glad you were able to find the prime. I had to order mine online!

I would save the stress coat for when you're setting up a new aquarium or adding a new fish, and just use the prime for the water changes. Especially if you're going to be putting prime in every two days, you don't want to overdo it on the chemicals. Stress coat is good because it adds a slime coat into the aquarium so it's good if you have a fish with an injury or something like that. Otherwise it's not really necessary to use with every water change.

Yep, that should be fine with the 20 drops! I personally, would keep my water changes on the larger side though so you're not just putting like a bunch of prime in there and taking out a tiny bit of water. And the fish will be producing ammonia of their own also. With my 5 gallon tank, I change about 70% of the water every four days.

Yes, you use prime just like any other water conditioner. I would add all 10 drops into the bucket and then just pour it in so that way the remaining water in the tank and gets some prime too. And then wait 48 hours, add another 10 drops. Then another 48 hours and then a water change. You could change the water every 48 hours if you wanted to, but that probably doesn't fit into most people's schedule. :D. If not just add the 10 drops in between your water changes.

You know what else would help a lot? If you got some real plants and put them in there because they eat up the ammonia. You don't have to, but heavily planted tanks eat up a bit of ammonia. Just an idea if you ever feel in the mood to decorate :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #33 
Haleigh

Wonderful. Thank you so much! I'm relieved that this should solve my problem. I've been so worried about Tully and Remmy, my other betta. I'll change both their tanks now, and do a water parameter test later, just to see.

I would like to eventually put live plants in my tanks, but I'm going to do some research first.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #34 
Starfish1

No problem! I'm glad we figured it out. Let us know how everything goes! :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote