Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
Blue Fish

How to get new plants from existing plants?

So, how do you know when to trim plants/take cuttings?

I've just started a brand-new 10g planted, no fish, just strictly for plants because I'd like to get them nice and big before they go into the tanks and this gives them a chance to get to that point before my obnoxious pond snails can get at them in the fish tanks.

I currently have some plants in all the tanks, and they hold their own, but they don't get much bigger...due, in part I believe, to the pond snails eating on the new growth.

So, I'd like to get these to grow...and I'm also interested in furthering them? Not sure what to call it, I'd like to be able to take cuttings/new shoots and separate them out into their own plants.

Currently growing some microsword, ludwigia, water sprite, horn wort, aqua fern, and peacock fern...and something that I don't know the name of.

Any instructions on *how* to do this? I'm a relative nubie to plants...I've bought them and kept them alive in my tanks, but they just hold their own and don't really do much beyond that. ;) This is the next step, but I'm pretty clueless. I've got an airstone in, using flourish (since no fish debris to feed the plants), and using 12 on/12 off lights.

Help is appreciated! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

One more question...has anyone ever used the smaller pond plants in an aquarium? Does that work out?

I wonder because I've got a 30g sorority that would be much easier to plant with larger plants to *begin* with. But, I wasn't sure if that would work...so thought I'd ask. :)

Worth a shot! :)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 
Micho

The Micro Sword propagates from the many runners that will branch off the root area. It grows exceptionally fast, and will quickly cover the bottom of the tank. No need to cut it and replant it.

Ludwigia reproduction occurs during the warm season when the plant is fully mature. At this time, it will develop small, vibrant yellow flowers above the water's surface. Shortly thereafter, seeds will develop and drop to the substrate, where they will begin to grow into a new plant. To propagate the Ludwigia, simply cut branches or the top of the plant, and plant the stem into the substrate. Be sure to remove the leaves from the last node on the bottom of the stem to insure proper root growth.

Hornwort is incredibly easy to propagate. It will naturally grow side shoots off the main stem, and these can be pinched off to grow another full plant. Sections of the main stem can also be broken off, and both pieces will grow into full plants.

Water sprite propagation is by adventitious plants from the tips of the leaves. Because of this, they are extremely easy to reproduce.

Aqua Fern & Peacock Fern are not true aquatic plants but usually sold at pet stores, I suggest removing them as they shall die and rot if kept submerged. Return it and get some true aquatic plants.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Thanks for the information!
I've actually had the peacock fern for a couple of months, it was in one of the regular tanks, I didn't plant it, just allowed it to float (well, tried to plant it, it wouldn't stay down and I gave up) but it's still alive...looks okay? Is this possibly because it was floating? Submerged, but I guess not completely?

Bummer about the aqua fern, I really like the looks of it. Can I replant it somewhere else, outside of the water, like a pot plant? I still have the container, I could probably return it.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 
Micho

Many tropical plants live a sort of amphibious life. During the rainy season they are submerged, and in the dry season the water recedes and they are above the water, in damp soil.

The peacock and aqua fern might last for a few months or so but will eventually die off, I'd still recommend replacing it with another plant/throwing it out.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Or you could try growing them emmerced! Aokashi knows lots about it and they look really good.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Okay, is this where you grow them basically half in and half out of the water? Like in the back of a HOB filter? (rather like those terrible peace lily vases from the 90's) ;)

I can return the aqua fern, but the peacock will either need to be thrown away or grown in some other set up if it can't live in the tank. :) I just hate to throw away any plants, whether they're aquatic or potted. :) I'm one of those awful people who have fifteen pot plants in the kitchen windows all winter trying to get them to survive until the next year... ;) I hate not giving them a chance, lol! :)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup! Emmersed is basically a very wet, humid, but not quite aquatic setup.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

Ahh...so if it's humid, it would need to be below the lid on the tank...so maybe I need to create some sort of shelf for them, so that the roots are below and the foliage is above the water line. I'll have to mess with this, lol! ;)