Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #1 
artslave

Help please, unhappy fish due to upgrade

help please. I just got my betta a new tank to move him from the cramped critter cage he was in, he used to swim to the front of the tank when I'd walk in and would greedily attack his food. I think he is now upset that I have moved him into a different tank. This one is a 1.5g hexagon tank with a low whisper filter and bubble rock. Its only been a few hours but he will only now swim a lil bit and then go back to lurking at the bottom. It isn't like my Mr. Fishy to act this way. Is it possible he is upset with the change and will get over it? What can I do to help him get used to his new home?

Last edited by ao; 08-18-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Unrelated post moved to its own thread.
artslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

With the filter & the bubbler it might be too much water movement. Turn off the bubbler & make sure the filter isn't too strong. Personally I don't use filters on tanks that size, 1.5g is a small volume of water so IMO difficult not to have too much water movement.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I agree, that it may be too much flow. Try turning off the bubbler, and see how he takes that. If still sulking, perhaps remove the filter and use the bubbler with an adjustable valve - this allows you to adjust the flow, making it gentle for him :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4 
artslave

well i removed the filter last night and finally since he was still at the bottom even with the bubble rock at a very slow bubble output i shut that off and took it out , i shut off all my lights and let him go over night and this morning he was at least swimming about a lil again. I think after a lil while in his new home I might try to add the bubble rock back, as I wanted to give him some sort of water movement so it puts O2 in the water, I know they can breathe air but I wanted to make life easy on him, not stress him out like I did.
artslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #5 
countyrd419

Your fish might also be adjusting to his new home and a little bit stressed out too. Just as humans, we too can get stressed when we move to a new area as we adjust to our surroundings. Mr. Fishy will be fine after a few days. Is the tank you have the same ones that I have seen at Petsmart?

Anyway, let us know how Mr. Fishy is doing and of course send us a picture of his tank.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #6 
Taboo

Hiya, I'm not sure if you're already onto this, but could he be a little cold? If his water isn't nice and warm he probably wouldn't feel like swimming around much or eating. Otherwise, maybe he just needs to get used to a new home!
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Definitely - heat can be a factor. 78-80 is where I keep my fish mostly, except the main tank seems to be set on 82.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote