Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #21 
Thothgirl

Well, I am a 33 year old housewife and the last time I was tested for IQ (I have a severe learning disability) I scored 186. People tend to tell me I am smart, sometimes yell at me for not using smaller words. But Meh, I do enough dumb stuff that I don't feel smart.

Although, I have a small rant, I know 4 languages and some how no one is impressed, but knowing 5 and your a genius. confuses the heck out of me. :)
Thothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #22 
thekinetic

IQ bah, I like the quote from The Count of Monte Cristo in this instance: "to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other." Alexander Dumas wrote that and I find it truer than an arbitrary number based on a biased test. Whose to say what makes one intelligent.

The system can keep their numbers for I have wisdom, and that is a knowledge tested by life.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #23 
Thothgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
IQ bah, I like the quote from The Count of Monte Cristo in this instance: "to learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the other." Alexander Dumas wrote that and I find it truer than an arbitrary number based on a biased test. Whose to say what makes one intelligent.

The system can keep their numbers for I have wisdom, and that is a knowledge tested by life.

Bravo!
Thothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #24 
jaysee
Reference Team

1% of the population of the whole world has an IQ higher than 130. 0.05% of the population has an IQ of 150 or higher. 0.0003% of the population has an IQ of 170 or more.

95% of the population falls within two standard deviations from the norm, which is most often 15 points (meaning 70-130)

Last edited by jaysee; 08-23-2013 at 11:21 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #25 
djembekah

not sure that IQ is actually a thing that matters in the real world.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
1% of the population of the whole world has an IQ higher than 130. 0.05% of the population has an IQ of 150 or higher. 0.0003% of the population has an IQ of 170 or more.

95% of the population falls within one standard deviation from the norm, which is most often 15 points (meaning 85-115)
By that logic, what is it about bettas that draws people with high IQs to this forum? I mean what are the odds that so many people here have such a high IQ?xD

I think IQ is dumb. I took a test when I was little, all I remember is that it had something with shapes and I had to know what the word nostalgia meant.. o___O

About the whole, street smarts, emotional, book smart thing. I have met all types and I think it's pretty rare for people to be smart in more than one of these categories. Meet so many "genius" kids that have trouble making friends and everyone thinks they're weird (Sheldon from Big Bang!) Likewise those "street" kids that never seem to grasp concepts in learning.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #27 
redthebetta

I definitely match that description of book smarts!
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote