betta fish

Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #11 
Nightfish

he hates the bowl lol
i do have a lamp...good idea!
Nightfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #12 
LeahK

One thing, just keep an eye on the temp, because small bowls can heat up quickly, and you don't wanna go too far in the opposite direction and cook him :)
One other thing, temperature fluctuations are more harmful to bettas than lower temps. So, for example, you don't want to get him all warm under the lamp in the day and then have his bowl temp drop quickly overnight. You'd rather have a steady temp, even if it's a little on the low side.
Just keep an eye on it, and don't try to raise his temp by more than, say 2 or 3 degrees in the day, and he should be ok until you get him the real tank with a real heater.
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #13 
Nightfish

good idea, so I shouldn't monkey around with it?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #14 
LeahK

yeah, I'd hate to tell you to stick him under a lamp and then something go wrong. I mean, lots of people DO keep their bettas at room temperature, and their temps drop at night....even though I would never recommend keeping a betta that way long-term. But just for the short-term, you're guy should be ok until you can get a tank that you can heat safely.

(Actually, in all honesty, I keep my betta at room temp, but I'm in the tropics, so room temp means a very steady 81 degrees But, if I were a better person, I'd get a heater, just to be safe, to prevent temperature fluctuations. This is also why I never got any goldfish--I really wanted some, but there's just no way I could keep their tanks cool....)
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #15 
Nightfish

yeah I live in Canada, more in the north-where we get 9 month snows and stuff lol, this year it was only 6 months of snow!
last year it was about 9 (the snow finally went away in early june) what a winter lol

thanks for all the help :)
Nightfish appreciates it and when I find some batteries that work I can finally take pictures lol
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #16 
Nightfish

poor Nightfish died, he probably did it to spite me too (He always loathed bowls)
I donno he was always a strange fish, but I'll miss the wacky little weirdo-next betta I get I'll make sure not to put any goldfish in with him (or her)
very disheartening
Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #17 
IonBaller07

Aww poor nightfish.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #18 
Nightfish

yeah he's hopefully in a better place now When I get another betta, I'll have the name Nightfish in his name (or her name). Its sad he couldn't be in the tank but he was really hurting the other fish (they had mysterious wounds, frayed fins, he killed 2 of them-one I know of, the other I'm guessing he did) but I like to keep optimistic, my mosquito fish "fatty" (real name Marie) had little fish, and they are thriving in the ten gallon tank-cute little guys, the size of an eyelash (a tad fatter) with eyes. They have epic names lol
Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #19 
Ilovemyshiny

gahhhh!!!! ihave five mosquito fish who WILL NOT BREED!!!!! they are the only kind i can keep with my turtles, for some reason my turtles wont eat them...i put one in with one of my betas to give it shot and my beta would chase him and flar but my hardy little mo fish just acted like he wasnt even there :D
Ilovemyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #20 
Nightfish

I think she was pregnant when I got her