Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 
Abawhite2021

Unhappy 5 Gallon Tank: Betta with fin rot. Could use some advice

Hello Everyone, I wish I joined this forum under happyer sucomstances. Saddly my Betta fish is ill and i wanted some opions on how i'm treating him since i never had a betta before and i think if he dies he'll be my last.

About 3 weeks ago i saved this betta fish from a kmart where 75% of his friends we're dying. I put him in a nice 5 gal tank which i read online was good for bettas and he was happy. he swam around slept in the plants i gave him. he loved going to the little castle in the middle. Things where going good until last Thursday when i relized his tail fin was messed up alot of the blue tissue around it was missing leaving red stringy parts of fish behind it. I looked it up online and found out the fish has fin rot.
(He also has black coloration on his bottom fin even tho nothing has fallen off)

So i did what the web told me. I gave him a 75% water change, added in aqurium salt and made sure the chemical lvls were low. After the change the ammona was 0ppm the nirate was 0ppm and the nirite was at 0.25ppm. All from what i read is ok, i also put prime water conditoner in the tank as well. I thought things where getting better until today when he lost more of his tail mostly right after i took this photo

http://postimg.org/image/5i1sxosef/

most of the middle is missing and the area above it has a small hole in it. So i called my Vet they fowarded me to an aquarium store where they told me to put Bettafix (Which i had) into the tank (I also have maracyn two) Which i did today. Is there ANYTHING else i can do for my fish? I feel horrable watching parts of his fin fall off of him. He's a pretty fish and all i wanted to do was save his life or is all i can do is keep giving him the bettafix and hope for the best? If he dies i dont think i'll get a betta again I feel aweful
Abawhite2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 
Abawhite2021

I'm also unsure once i put the bettafit in the tank should i do any water changes?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 
darkangel

from the photo, it doesn't look like finrot but tail biting, here is a pretty useful blog post on it here.

personally, I would not use bettafix, some people said it has caused respiratory issues in their fish and its not needed for something like tail biting.

you need to do water changes until ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nothing else. ammonia and nitrite should never be anything but 0, anything above 0 makes your fish sick and stresses them out because the stuff is toxic. =O

how often/how much do you change your water in your 5 gal?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
Abawhite2021

tail biting. i dont know if i've ever seen him bite his tail. I did a full water change yesterday. Before that i never changed the water. I never had a betta before, only gold fish and we changed there water every too week.

As for the bettafix i already put some in his tank today. I was even debating putting the maracyn in as well. I've seen so worried since thursday but looking at the photos they do look a bit more like my fishes tail becuase big hunks are missing and there is funny white stuff near the parts that are missing

this photo was taken on friday
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/qu1b.jpg/

Come to think of it as i sit here trying to relax and feeling like a horrable person. i have seen him sort of in a C shape in the tank with his mouth near his tail. From what i've read maybe hes stress biting, i did read on line some bettas dont like the large tanks...that or maybe its my lack of plants or the filter. I'm horrably confused

Last edited by Abawhite2021; 08-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #5 
Abawhite2021

i read on line about something called Baffling. i do have a filter going in the tank. its in the middle near the back i dont think he likes it very much but its on the lowest setting i have.

All i wanted to do was save this fishes life. I really am confused
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #6 
darkangel

Don't worry, you did a good thing by saving him.

Here are some tips:

- a 5 gallon should be changed 50% every week, using a gravel vacuum, suck up the water at the bottom where the poop/gross decaying stuff is.

- bettas excrete ammonia (its like pee) which builds up in a tank, if it becomes testable (greater than 0) than it starts to burn/hurt the fish so if you have a ammonia test kit, test every week before a water change :)

- a filter creates place for good bacteria to live, this is called the nitrogen cycle, it can be confusing, you can read about it here but I wouldn't worry about it until you have caring for bettas down! so just ignore it for now. ^^

- since your tank is not cycled, if you feel like the filter is strong, turn it off for now.

- its okay if you added the bettafix, try doing a 50% water change.

Tail biting is really common, sometimes they do for it now reason so don't sweat it. as long as the water is ammonia/nirite free, it won't get infected. here is what I think happened, you haven't changed the water for 3 weeks so there was ammonia/nitrite built up which stressed your fish that may have triggered tail biting. as long as you change the water on time and keep the tank water clean, he might stop biting.

do you have a heater? warm water can really help boost their immune system. :)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 
Abawhite2021

I do the water is at 80* i knew fish neede them from my gold-fish so i went online did some heating reserch i read bettas like 75* to 82* tems so i thought 80 was good. I just feel terrable if i caused his finrot/ biting. Saddly i also can't change his water again until tuesday. (i have a 12 to 14 hour shift at my job 2morrow) Its ok to do a parshal water change with the bettafix?

Last edited by Abawhite2021; 08-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8 
darkangel

yes, the bettafix is not a huge deal. just change it as soon as possible and from now on, do weekly 50% water changes whenever you can =)

80f is a great temperature! many new keepers don't have heaters so kudos to you for keeping him warm!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #9 
Abawhite2021

Lol thank you. I remember how my mom took care of gold-fish like 20 years ago. I'll keep treating him with the betta-fix and if his fins get worse i was debating using the maracyn two that i got.

I also read that a way to help with the filters pull is to buy more plants. I ordered a few small plants a few days ago i'm thinking maybe i'll get a few more large ones this way he can swim in the plants and not near the filter since at night he hides behind it.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #10 
darkangel

yep, bettas love live plants and live plants can improve water quality so I always encourage people to get it.

I highly recommend hornwort, its a good fast growing hardy plant that actually remove ammonia. I have lots and they are really awesome plants, if you have good light they will grow an extra inch every week.

you can also buy terra pots and place it by the filter, it can help baffle it a little. I got several at walmart for $1 or $2, just be sure to plug the bottom holes bc bettas can get stuck. ^__^