Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #11 
Abawhite2021

All the plants i have are fake atm i have one medium big leavy one and i have a small leafy one. I've never had live plants before not sure how to take care of them either. The plants i ordered are also fake. Are fake plants a major problem? Also how could the terra pots help with the filter?

I should mention i have a whipser filter the water goes in threw the bottom and comes out the top. Atm i have it on its lowest setting

Last edited by Abawhite2021; 08-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Abawhite2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #12 
darkangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abawhite2021 View Post
All the plants i have are fake atm i have one medium big leavy one and i have a small leafy one. I've never had live plants before not sure how to take care of them either. The plants i ordered are also fake. Are fake plants a major problem? Also how could the terra pots help with the filter?

I should mention i have a whipser filter the water goes in threw the bottom and comes out the top. Atm i have it on its lowest setting
oh, thats alright, if you plastic plants, make sure they are not too rough or they can tear your fish's tail. ^^ nothing wrong with fake plants, they don't don't improve water quality like live plants but they are just as good. Live plants aren't too bad as long as you have light, hornwort is a good beginner plant if ever become interested. not sure where you are located, but if your in the us, theplantedtank.net has a classified section where people will give away plants for free as long as you pay for shipping.

you have an internal filter, the same kind I use, place a terra pot near the intake and below where the water where the water falls back down. the terra pot will help disrupt the flow when the water falls in to the tank and slow down the pull. you can also plant stuff in it if you want to.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #13 
Abawhite2021

I like the idea of putting plants in them. Do you think amazon.com would have them? I do want to make life for my fish as easy as possable and with some Extra money i can get one day shipping on it as well.

my plants are betta fake plants i found them at the petco i was at last friday.
( i can't drive there all the time) I ordered some more and i could get the terra-cotta pots from them too. they have standard one day shipping.
(Silly question do you have them facing up or down and what size do i get?)

Also i took some readings from fishys water today. i got
Ammona is at 0ppm
Nirite is at 0ppm
Nirate is at 0ppm to 0.25ppm
Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #14 
darkangel

Quote:
I like the idea of putting plants in them. Do you think amazon.com would have them? I do want to make life for my fish as easy as possable and with some Extra money i can get one day shipping on it as well.

my plants are betta fake plants i found them at the petco i was at last friday.
( i can't drive there all the time) I ordered some more and i could get the terra-cotta pots from them too. they have standard one day shipping.
(Silly question do you have them facing up or down and what size do i get?)

Also i took some readings from fishys water today. i got
Ammona is at 0ppm
Nirite is at 0ppm
Nirate is at 0ppm to 0.25ppm
If you want to have live plants, I think you will be better off buying them from a classified section either here or at theplantedtank.net! Its much cheaper and cleaner because the plants were kept in established tank. live plants can carry parasites, petstores and some online businesses aren't very clean. You can probably get a really good bag for plants for less than $10. Try posting an ad here, asking for some hardy low light plants for $5-$10 and I am sure someone will offer you some. If you really want to buy plants from a business, you can try ebay, its a good place to get java fern and moss balls.

if your terra pots don't have plants, face it down, if it has plants, face it up ^^. you can also find them at dollars stores for like a buck so check those places out first and save some $$$. get the ones that are 4"-6" tall, two for a 5 gallon is great, I have 4 in my 10gal!

the reading looks good, it appears you tank is trying to cycle since you are getting small amounts of nitrate. if its possible, try buying API Prime water conditioner when you are done using your current one. Prime + live plants is an amazing combo IMO, prime locks the ammonia so it can't hurt the fish until a good plant absorbs it!

its fantastic you have a test kit ! try testing every week, with live plants, your tank might actually silently cycle without hurting the fish. 8D just try to do 25%-50% every week and test every week to make sure there is no ammonia/nitrite and you should be good!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #15 
Abawhite2021

Nice! I do have prime but its not api its made by seachem in there now. Since fishy got sick or stressed or what i called my pet and they fowarded me to an aquarium store that told me prime was the best to get. When i went to the petco on friday i picked that up as well.

i'll admit u have me thinking about live plants since they seem benifical to the fish. I'm still unsure how to care for them but i supose i can learn. I put that ad link in my favorates. I can also assume u can mix live and fake plants. if so i can fit atleast two in the tank. i dont want to over crowd. i only want this poor fish to have a nice life since its not hard to clean the tank once a week. I already figured i can do it every thursday since i work a night shift and have the majorly of the day to myself.

i know theres a dollar tree in the plaza i work at ill check there for the terra cotta pots and i'll place them down under the intake valve and under where the water reenters. ATM i have a little castle sitting there i figured he could swim threw it and not get hit by the current comming back down.

Since i lowered the filter to minium he seems less stressed before he was darting across the tank and trying to hide in conners. As for the meds ill do a 50% water change again on tuesday when i get out of work clean the gravel and all that before i head outside. its worth the time and i was debating ordeing some of that API stress stuff if hes stressed maybe it will help calm him down but can that be used with betta fix or maracyn two?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #16 
darkangel

Quote:
Nice! I do have prime but its not api its made by seachem in there now. Since fishy got sick or stressed or what i called my pet and they fowarded me to an aquarium store that told me prime was the best to get. When i went to the petco on friday i picked that up as well.

i'll admit u have me thinking about live plants since they seem benifical to the fish. I'm still unsure how to care for them but i supose i can learn. I put that ad link in my favorates. I can also assume u can mix live and fake plants. if so i can fit atleast two in the tank. i dont want to over crowd. i only want this poor fish to have a nice life since its not hard to clean the tank once a week. I already figured i can do it every thursday since i work a night shift and have the majorly of the day to myself.

i know theres a dollar tree in the plaza i work at ill check there for the terra cotta pots and i'll place them down under the intake valve and under where the water reenters. ATM i have a little castle sitting there i figured he could swim threw it and not get hit by the current comming back down.

Since i lowered the filter to minium he seems less stressed before he was darting across the tank and trying to hide in conners. As for the meds ill do a 50% water change again on tuesday when i get out of work clean the gravel and all that before i head outside. its worth the time and i was debating ordeing some of that API stress stuff if hes stressed maybe it will help calm him down but can that be used with betta fix or maracyn two?
yes, I meant seachem, not API! lol mixed the 2 brands up. live plants aren't hard to care for, especially if you have the hardy types, they just need a source of light. Do you have light in your hood?

you can use stresscoat if you want to, it just helps increase slimecoat I believe, I never used it myself. you can also buy indian almond leaves on ebay instead, many people had good results with it. :)
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #17 
Abawhite2021

I do its off atm i'm on two fish forums since i'm a little lost with the betta a poster there said keep the light off so the fish will think its dark and relax it seems to be working. They also mentioned them almond leaves i personally dont have an ebay account. I supose i could ask my mom to buy it for me.

i hope more of his tail doesnt fall off :(
Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #18 
darkangel

Quote:
I do its off atm i'm on two fish forums since i'm a little lost with the betta a poster there said keep the light off so the fish will think its dark and relax it seems to be working. They also mentioned them almond leaves i personally dont have an ebay account. I supose i could ask my mom to buy it for me.

i hope more of his tail doesnt fall off :(
Yes, keep the lights off for now since he is stressed right now.

you only need to turn on the light if you get live plants, live plants will need light or they will die. once he feels better, some light won't hurt. :)

you also post a wanted ad here or at theplantedtank.net to see if someone will sell you some indian almond leaves for cheap if you really want some. you don't have to have it, its just a nice extra thing to have on hand.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #19 
Abawhite2021

Oh ok. I'll admit i've kinda been freaking out for the last couple of days. When i read that if the fin rot..if it is fin rot touches its body it will get very sick and then die. i really dont want that to happen. So i think i'll think about real plants and all of that if or after he feels better. He was doing SO well until today when more of his tail fin fell off. Makes me think i'm a horrable person i wanted to save his life not ruin it and then have him die. Even tho if i didnt buy him he's be in a dirty little fish bowl at my job.

So for right now i'll stick to the 50% water changes, the prime stuff the betta fix and the aquarium salt. Is there anything else i can do to make him compy?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #20 
darkangel

I think you probably don't need to use bettafix anymore. :)

just keep his tank clean and dim for now until he feels better! I'm sure with some time he will perk up. nothing else I can think off at the moment ^^