Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #11 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Molly's need brackish water, so I wouldn't pair them up at all. The severe fin damage- is that just shredded or can you see open wounds?

they are shredded no visible wounds, but half their body's are turning black and their fins have some red in them and some look burnt

How many girls are in the sorority, and how many mollies?

3 live bettas left 5/6 mollies

Answer as many of these questions as you can, it will help all of us to help you.

Housing
What size is your tank? 29g
What temperature is your tank?80f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? mollies but they are now quarantined

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 75% week recently
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just changed to api water conditioner and using prime and aq salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity: everything is normal except ph which says alkalinity is high

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? their body's are turning blk and their fins are shredded and turning colors
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? jungle all in one treatment tablets, aq salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately) unsure I've had them for several months?
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #12 
resa

bumping bump bump
Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #13 
Emparios

I don't know what would be going on with them, like if the new fish are hurting them or not, but I've heard that you need 4 or more bettas to spread their agression out (I know that you had four, but one of them passed).

Both bettas and mollies are territorial, so that may be the problem?

As a side note, I've read that bettas can live in brackish water, or even thrive in it, since it prevents some diseases. So bettas and mollies can live in the same type of water.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #14 
darkangel

I think its time that you used stronger antibiotics, especially if so many fish are getting sick/dying and the weaker stuff isn't doing anything, to me it looks like an aggressive rot of some sort. I suggest you try API's furan-2 or triple sulfa, very good reviews!

also: do not get anymore fish from where ever you got your current ones, it could be that the bacteria is all over that place and I doubt they are taking care of their animals. try to save your current fish and next time buy your fish else where.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #15 
resa

another betta died this morning ;( ;( the other two are barely hanging on. ik they will die. the party of their body that is black seems to literally be paralyzed!! there not moving that party of their body's and they are barely staying afloat
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #16 
resa

party= part stupid phone sorry
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #17 
Elsewhere

You need to get those girls away from each other, put them in the cups they came in and float them in the water. Get the Mollies out and either do the same with them or put them in some kind of QT, whether it's a heated bucket or an actual tank. What kinds of medications do you have on hand?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #18 
resa

the mollies are in the 30g tank and I don't have the cups my girls came in and I have jungle lifeguard all in one treatment and betta fix aq salt that's it
Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use any sort of plastic ware as long as it has not seen soap before. So wal-mart carries a set of 3 circle containers for a dollar 67 or something like that. You could easily get those by scrounging up change.

And yes, most of the reason is because you don't have enough girls to spread around aggresstion and then not QT'ing them on top of it opens them up for some serious things. QT fish in a sorority is a BIG deal and not something you can just skip over so let that be a lesson if you decide to continue this sorority.

Also consider getting 5+ girls if you're going to do a sorority, the aggression needs to be spread out or you'll end up with something like this again.

Okay so you've have two girls die now? That girl with the grey on her, how fast did that happen and how quickly did she die if she's the one that died?

Right now you should clean all your supplies like nets, bucket's, siphons and anything you use that go between the tanks; this will help disease from spreading. To do this, use a separate container and hopefully you've got some regular house bleach lying around the house. Use a 1:19 Bleach:water solution and put all your net's/hoses and whatever else you might use in that solution and let it soak for about 4 hours. Make sure the siphon get's the solution all the way through the hose.

When it's all done soaking, dump the bucket down the drain and rinse everything off with HOT tap water. Put back in bucket and let it soak in regular HOT tap water for another 4 hours about. After that, do another rinse again with hot tap water and this time when you let it soak for four hours, condition the water with 4-5x more conditioner than normal. So if you use 1-2 drops per gallon, use 4-6 drops per gallon in that bucket, or just pour what you think is good in there.

After that they'll be aquarium safe if you let air dry. Smell them to see if they have any bleach smell, if they do, then soak them again in regular hot tap water for 1 HOUR and then rinse, smell and continue until they no longer smell of bleach.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #20 
resa

I feel horrible watching my last two girls suffer. I've never seen anything like this before. literally their back end are paralyzed I want to put them them to "sleep" myself but obviously no means to do that I had more than 5 females in my sorority at one time I know the rules for sorority. it's strange to me that all the new fish are 100% normal