Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

so did that girl with the grey coloration, did she die?

What do the two ones left look like or are those last pictures of them?

Sorry, I just had to repeat the rules some people just don't know so I wanted to give as much information as I could. Sorry, didn't meant to overstep or nothing

I've PM'd Sakura8 because that one girl with the grey looking area looks a heck of a lot like that graphite disease especially if it came on very fast.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Hi resa, lilnaugrim asked me to take a look at this thread.

Just so I'm clear, the girl with the grey on her back end . . . did that suddenly start? Like, within the first sighting of grey, did it spread within a few hours? If so, we're definitely looking at a case of our so-called graphite disease, which has been identified as a strain of mycobacteria.

This disease is more or less untreatable so there is nothing you can do but separate her and possibly euthanize her if she is struggling.

What may have happened in this case is stress brought out the mycobacteria. This disease is present in fish at all times but in such low numbers that it does no harm. But when a fish becomes stressed, their immune system crashes and disease can take over.

I'm sorry abut your sorority. It's always tough when these things happen.

In the meanwhile, you're getting great advice from lilnaugrim. If it's feasible, I would try to follow her instructions for sterilizing the tank and decor and then start fresh with a new cycle. You can speed this cycling process up using a bacterial additive like Seachem Stability or using old filter media from an established tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #23 
resa

my females have passed away. they turned black/gray their entire bodies are this color. at least I know now they are no longer suffering and they lived a good life.
Yes this colorful thing happened within hours.
I'm not buying any more females I'm sticking with the three males I have left and the mollies. if I pick up females again it will be a very long time. I'm heart broken over this
thank you all for all the help you've provided ;(
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

With Myco bacteria it's best if you throw everything away and get new things. As far as I am aware, you can't get rid of it easily and you're just going to contaminate everything else you've got including your boy's and the mollies. I'm going to assume that the only reason your boys or the mollies haven't contracted it like the girls is because they aren't as stressed so that's a good thing at least. But I would still throw caution.

I'm very sorry about your girls though it's never fun dealing with things like this but you are right! They're no longer suffering and they did live a good life with you

Even if you didn't get rid of the tanks, I would look into at least buying new siphon/bucket if you use them if you don't have separate ones. It will keep your males safe for the most part then.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #25 
Sakura8

If you can't get rid of the tanks, there is something out there that can sterilize it but I can't for the life of me remember. PM Coppermoon here on the forum; she will know. Otherwise, you can use boiling water and then leave things in the sun for a month. That is supposed to also kill myco.

I defnitely agree with lil about getting a new bucket and a new hose though, no matter what.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #26 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hospital grade Lysol (make sure it is the hospital grade stuff... The normal stuff won't work) or (I believe) 70%+ alcohol will kill myco. Bleach is ineffective and I would not rely on the sun/dry method.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 08-22-2013 at 01:30 AM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #27 
Sakura8

^ What he said. :)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #28 
ReeseInPieces

Isn't it the stuff hair dressers use to disinfect there utensils with? Barbacide I think?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #29 
JayM

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote