Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #1 
fishyfish121

Unhappy Wal-Mart Fight Incedent

I posted yesterday but I had to get off and can't find the thread anymore(very new to this site). I was at Wal-Mart 3 days ago and was buying fish food for my 4 goldfish(in 10gal at home). Long story short there were two red males in the same itty-bitty container who were both sickly and missing fins but both alive. I took them home and they are in 1gal bowls(I also bought royal blue finned, white and gray speckled male) the one male that seemed to have 'won' was eating about 1 dried baby shrimp a day(I don't know if this is the best food for them, I'll go and buy more later but it was late at night and strangly Wal-Mart didn't seem to have any other betta foods and that was what they were feeding them at the store) and swimming around merilly. The royal blue is fiesty, he will eat about 3 shrimp a day(depending on size) and showing off his beautiful fins(he also started on a bubble nest which is strange because I don't have any other bettas so no female). The last male(which I named Matrix) doesn't swim much and doesn't eat at all. I didn't notice yesterday but he has a damaged fin(I don't know whats it called, the one on his side close to his head and gills that helps him swim) and kind of swim side-ways. He is swimming more but still isn't eating, I've also noticed a few 'bubbles' under his chin and mouth. And of course his fins are completely torn up(worse than the other male) will they ever return? Should I treat for infection?
fishyfish121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #2 
fishyfish121

Please I really need a reply.
fishyfish121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

The pectoral fin is the one you are referring too I think. If that is damaged and he doesn't swim well, then he might not make it. I hate to say that. If he is swimming okay, then he should have a chance.

The Betta might go a few days without eating, it is normal. You might have to try something different for him to eat. Maybe soften pellets or flakes. The flakes can be messy, I'm just thinking of something easier to eat just in case his mouth could be damaged in any way.
The best thing for torn fins is clean water. You could also try aquarium salt. As far as meds, you can try Bettafix (there are mixed reviews for this) or Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
I hope that helps and I hope he pulls through.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think another member is currently treating his male that got in a fight with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It seems to be helping. Bettas need something other than shrimp to eat. Try pellets or flakes as AngelicScars suggested.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #5 
LiyahsGrandma

I hope your fish fins get better and I hope he /she lives
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

I hope they get better. Just change their water every day with heated conditioned water and try to find a small soft pellet for them to eat! And I am sure they will make it just fine!!
I am glad you rescued them!!! :]
And Welcome
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #7 
KassiaScarlett

Okay, what is a bubble nest? Sounds interesting. It truly is terrible how Walmart and other stores treat their betta fish. I have a friend who has seen them stacked on top of eachother in their little cups so that the holes on all the bottom ones are bocked off. So sad. I hope your betta's fins heal. Can fins heal after such extreme damage? Or are they like human apendeges? Gone when they're gone?
KassiaScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Male bettas blow bubblenests. They usually blow them when they are ready to spawn. They blow the eggs up into the nest and they tend the nest. But just because they blow a bubblenest doesn't mean they need to breed. It just means that they are healthy and happy. Yes, under the right conditions, fins can heal. They may not be quite as pretty, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #9 
The Amazonian Trio

I had a failed Sorority tank attempt and I'm treating the ripped fins with plenty of water conditioner called "Stress Coat" which is supposed to help with the fins. I've also added a little salt to prevent infection and promote healing. It seems to be working, and one of my fish's fins are almost fully healed at this point.
I feel bad that my pretty fish got hurt at my attempt to have them all live together.
The Amazonian Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #10 
The Amazonian Trio

All my pretty girls however seem much happier in their own tanks.
The Amazonian Trio is offline   Reply With Quote