Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #1 
The Amazonian Trio

Exclamation My fish is possibly dieing.

My fish Hypolita has been placed in a two gallon tank (what I had orginally thought was five gallons) with plenty of food, a no current filtration system, and all the plants and hiding places she can hide in.
I had tried to put her in a sorority tank, in hopes of having an economic way to house my fish. She got picked on the worst and I wound up putting all my fish in their own tanks.
She recovered from her wounds quickly, but I was stunned to discover how thin she was, even when I had moved her from her orginal vase to the soroity tank.
She had been stressed for a while before I was able to get her a place of her own. The stress lines have disappeared but she's turned from a beautiful bright blue to a pastel color, and she hardly eats and her body is thinner than her head. I've tried everything I could think of, frequent water changes, watching her eat small meals several times a day, water condtioner, a pinch of salt, I've even changed the kind of lighting she gets, but nothing helps, and she's spending time sitting on the bottom of the tank.
I'm worried that she may be dieing, and I don't think it's old age, because I've had her only ten months from the pet store.
Are there any suggestions?
The Amazonian Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #2 
BBgirl

I would check http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm for symptoms and see what ou find. I'm no fish expert by any means but being the care giver to my daughters fish I have had to learn my fair share of things. Look at Swim Bladder and see if her fins are clamping. Maybe someone else here can describe what to look for in clamping.

Best of luck and I hope your little buddy is back up and moving soon.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Sounds like internal parasites to me :(

Use the link BBgirl had up to find out the treatment.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It kind of sounds like internal parasites to me, too, if she's eating and still really thin.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #5 
The Amazonian Trio

I doubt it's internal parasites because I don't feed her live food.
I've narrowed her symptoms, and at best she has fish depression, at medium, although unlikely because I've never fed her live food and I've done a lot of water tank changes are internal parasites, at worst she has fish Tuberculosis. Thanks for the link BBgirl. It's helped alot.
Besides Hypolita's change in health all my other girls are very healthy and doing fine.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #6 
The Amazonian Trio

Hypolita's condition has just gotten worse I went to a pet store that had Betta fix and other cures and I tried one of the recommended cures in case it was internal parasites, and her appetite has decreased dramatically. I'm doing what I can but this morning I went to check on her an she now black in color and some sort of white growth in on her head. And she hardly moves. I've lost hope of her survival, but does any one recognize her symptoms?

Last edited by The Amazonian Trio; 06-26-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #7 
Luchi

Can you get a picture of her head and what not? Maybe somebody could help you out if they could see it.
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

I wouldn't rule out anything because you haven't fed them live food. I bought a girl that got Dropsy and died within a couple of days of getting her. I never fed her live food before that. There is no telling what happens to these fish before we get them. Unless, of course, you bought yours from a breeder.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #9 
ashleyALE

Once, one of my swordtails developed what I thought was fish Tuberculosis. It was scary how weird looking the fish was. SUPER skinny and very crooked. Almost 'S' shaped most of the time. I know that emaciation and spine curvature are symptoms of such. She lived for a while though and none of the fish that spent time in the tank with her ever had the same symptoms. I never knew what it was.

AND I've have 2 bettas die of Dropsy and I've never fed any fish live food. :/ It was for sure a water condition issue.
ashleyALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

I had a female get dropsy without me feedin live foods.

I think it's internal parasites to be honest.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying, female betta, laying on bottom, pastel color, thin