Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
shadepixie

Tank upgrade = stressed fishy

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the site for a while now, it really is a wealth of information. I joined today and already have a question:
Ok... so I got a male Betta (Louie) last week. He is beautiful, deep purple-blue with turquoise shimmers and red anal(?) fins.
I had him in a glass bowl that probably held about 1.5-2 gallons. I put real plants, a piece of aquarium driftwood, a Marimo moss ball, and smooth stones in it. He was very content and calm in the bowl.
After doing more reading and research, I felt pretty guilty that I had him in a small, unfiltered bowl. I live in a small space and am not allowed pets, even a fish, so I upgraded to a slightly larger tank of 3.5 gallons (I know, 5 gallons or more is better, please don't hate me!)
The new tank is plastic and is a half-circle shape: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11051817
I treated the water and transferred the items from the bowl into the tank. I treated the water and added more, also treated. After a while, I added Louie. I felt bad leaving him in the cup I put him in for the transfer. The current from the filter seemed so strong, he was just swimming frantically as hard as he could. I made a baffle out of a plastic water bottle like I was instructed to on this site. It definitely tempered the current a lot. He is not used to ANY current so I'm certain that's part of the stress. :(
He is very agitated. He seems confused by the tank shape (the bowl obviously had no edges) and keeps frantically swimming into the corners. He's flaring a lot, and I think he has some minor "fin blows" from flaring. he is just swimming so crazy around the tank.
Do you think he's just adjusting to the new space? He was so calm in the bowl... I know the bigger, filtered tank is better but I just need some reassurance. Thank-you so much in advance for your advice. Please go easy on me, I'm new to this.
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

How long has he been in the new tank? If it keeps happening for a while, you can move him back into the bowl...2 gallons is enough water for them....But I would give it some time with the new tank if you haven't already...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #3 
shadepixie

Only a couple hours. I just feel so bad that he's freaking out so badly. :(
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadepixie View Post
Only a couple hours. I just feel so bad that he's freaking out so badly. :(
I know you feel bad, but he should be okay if you leave it for a while. Just give it at least till tomorrow and see how he looks then :). It's normal for fish to be like that in a new environment.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
shadepixie

Do you think I should turn the filter off for a while to let him calm down? He's just ... smashing his face into the corner and swimming up and down, over and over.
It's more alarming because in his bowl he was really chill.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadepixie View Post
Do you think I should turn the filter off for a while to let him calm down? He's just ... smashing his face into the corner and swimming up and down, over and over.
It's more alarming because in his bowl he was really chill.
Do you have your live plants in the new tank? And is it a brand new filter?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 
shadepixie

Yes and yes. And a small snail that hitchhiked a ride on the plants. I divided the Marimo a couple days ago into three smaller ones. They're in there too. And the driftwood.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #8 
shadepixie

Funny enough... I put things outside his bowl to look at when I go to work. I put up DVD cases. He spends a lot of time checking them out. He gets feisty with Weird Al's 'UHF' and really liked "Pretty in Pink". I went grocery shopping just now, and I put up the Pretty in Pink DVD box at the front of the tank to see if it would bring him back from the frantic corner activity. I just got back and he seems *slightly* less agitated and was checking out the DVD. He still gravitates toward the rear of the tank and is going up and down a lot. I hope he gets used to the new tank. It's so much bigger and nicer.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Well the filter will cause the tank to cycle, but you can leave it out for another day if you want to...that way he gets introduced to everything new a little more slowly...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #10 
shadepixie

Your kind help and advice is much appreciated, Finn <3. Thank-you so much.