Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 
SoloWingRazgriz

Very Sick Betta

Hi guys, I am a new user to this forum and first time poster. I have come here seeking advice for my sick betta Lucifer. I have tried asking in my local pet store (Pets At Home) and spent hours online trying to fin something that resembles the situation with my betta, but to no avail. I hope so much that someone here can help me figure out this dilemma.

I have had my Betta (Lucifer) for about 6 months now and everything was going swimmingly until a few days ago. I noticed he developed a small white bump on the rim of one of his gills with a translucent flake trailing from it (it almost looked fuzzy) which lead me to believe it was a fungal infection of some sort. Naturally I went to my local pet store and picked up some anti fungal treatment (Interpet Anti Fungal and Finrot) after first confirming with one of the shop assistants that it did indeed sound like a fungal infection. So I treated the water on the Friday after doing my usual weekly 50% water change. I should not that during this time his behavior seemed very normal and healthy

However the following day his condition changed greatly. he is now very lathargic/sluggish spending most of his time lying motionless at the bottom of the tank or at the top by the intake valve, (he will swim around occasionally but quite slow and only for a very short time) his fins have also started developing what looks like blisters that i assume burst because they all of a sudden they disappear as soon as they came leaving a hole in his fins where they used to be.

I am very worried about his condition and have no clue what could be wrong with him, I'm hoping someone here can help me with this so I can save him.

I keep him in a 13litre nano cube tank with a fully working heater and filtration system.
SoloWingRazgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #2 
darkangel

can you fill this out?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
SoloWingRazgriz

Housing
What size is your tank? 13Litre
What temperature is your tank? 26 Degrees Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (In built)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Pump
Is your tank heated? Yes (Heater thats cuts out after it hits a certian temp to keep it around 26 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aquarian Advanced Nutrition Tropical Fish Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every Friday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tapsafe, ammonia reduction, filter boost

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not recently, local pet store offers free testing service however.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Unidentified white object on the rim of one gill, numerous bubble like blisters on fins that burst and leave holes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, sluggish, often lies motionless for lengthy amounts of time.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, at first with Interpet Anti Fungus and Fin Rot, but also later with an anti parasitic treatment Interpet White Spot treatment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for 6 months
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #4 
darkangel

Does the fuzz look like this at all: http://petcoupon.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/flex2.jpg, this is columnaris.

white fuzz could be columnaris or cotton mold (rarely ever fungus), cotton mold is generally harmless and will only attack dead or really sick fish. columnaris is not a fungus but a bacteria and needs to be treated by a good antibacteria because this is a fast acting bacteria and kill quickly. try kanamycin or furan-2.

I would do a big water change just in case water quality isn't good since you haven't done a test. maybe try furan-2 or kanamycin if your fish is going downhill really fast... most diseases are bacterial so it might be worth a shot.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #5 
SoloWingRazgriz

Thanks, I will do a large water change in the morning. I have a couple of photos of him:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...819_032147.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...819_032337.jpg

The second image shows the white thing on his gill. Sorry I know the images might not be the most helpful ones to go by, he has been lying in an awkward place making it hard to get a good shot of it. But I hope they help in some way.

Do you think Maracyn 2 could help in anyway also? and should i wait until after the water change tomorrow before added anymore treatment?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #6 
darkangel

its hard to say from the photos, columnaris can cause lesions on the fish's body which is why sometimes its known as saddleback disease... not sure if it is like the blisters you described. since its just a small white dot, I can't say for sure.

maracyn 2 only targets gram negative bacteria, I think you should go for broad antibacteria. do you jungle's fungus clear or tetra fungus guard in the UK? they are both weak broad anti-microbe that covers everything from bacteria to fungus. people at my local aquarium society told me they are cheap preventative treatments.

I am not 100% sure what your fish has bc in the picture, there isn't very clear symptoms but most bacteria is the most common cause so a weak broad anti microbe might be helpful, the only other cause that I think of is parasite but I your fish isn't new so its unlikely and viruses are very rare. so by deduction, a broad anti-microbe is probably most helpful. =)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #7 
SoloWingRazgriz

Thanks darkangel, yeah sorry the pic isn't of better quality, I will try to take a better pic and post it on here as soon as I can.

I don't think I have ever seen jungle's fungus clear or tetra fungus guard here in the UK. The only things I have seen are Interpet Anti Fungus and Finrot (which I've already treated the water with) Interpet also do a General Tonic however that claims to keep parasites, fungus and bacteria at acceptable levels to prevent an outbreak. Do you think this general tonic would be a good option?

Here's the link if you would like to see it:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/liqui...interpet-36429
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 
darkangel

Okay, in that case, try looking at what it contains, look for medicine that have: Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone.

If you cannot find any meds like that or is unsure, other option you can try is Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 combined, I believe these two meds can be used together 1 covers gram postive and 2 covers gram negative, you can also use Maracyn Plus which is what I have (its broad). Maracyn is a little bit stronger than the cheap jungle/tetra, its more effective in a sense but also harder on the fish.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #9 
SoloWingRazgriz

Ok thanks, I will have a look at what medication is available and hopefully something will contain those ingredients. Yeah I heard Maracyn 1 and 2 could be combined (I already own a pack of Maracyn 2) Unfortunately no where on the UK stocks any Maracyn products. Since it is classed as an antibiotic UK trade laws state it cant be sold without a prescription. I had to import my Maracyn 2 from the US but it took about 2 weeks to be delivered.