Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Exclamation What is my Betta's illness???

Hello Betta fish community! I am somewhat of a newbie here and recently got my first betta yesterday. His name is Sushi! :D I saw him a week ago then came back and got him yesterday because I knew he was the one for me. Now time to explain! I know he is ill but I can't seem to find out what exactly is the problem! At first I thought it was fin rot but then decided he may just be tail biting. He is very energetic and flaring, he also responds to me and seems completely happy. But his body is a dark greyish-brown. Anyways here are the symptoms to make it short!

Symptoms:
-loss of color on the body, grey/brown with a bit of purple near the back
-spiting out food (maybe bc he is so excited he isnt hungry? he ate a little bit but didn't finish a full pellet
-top fin seems to have been torn or is just clamped(tail biting maybe?)
-a small red dot on the back of his head, almost like a small open wound
-possible whitish stringy poop

From what I looked up he may have either
Fin rot
Tail biting
Ammonia poisoning
Parasite

I added some Quick Cure just in case and tomorrow I will be getting some Aquarium Salt. But I don't know what else to get and I just can't figure out what is wrong! I'm hoping that he is this way from being in the dirty cup. Please help!
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #2 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

you can see the slight purple in the back on his body, the rest is a brownish grey

his top fin seems to be damaged somehow as well as the "beard" i believe

sorry the quality is bad D: Sushi doesn't like my phone!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #3 
Starfish1

From what I can see, his color looks fine, he's very pretty. I had a fish named Sushi too :)

Looks like possible fin rot on the top fin but if you can get a better picture of it that would be great, I know it's hard sometimes when theyre moving around. If it is fin rot, daily or every other day water changes and a little aquarium salt should help.

I don't see the red spot on his head so if you can get a picture of that too that would be good. Sometimes they don't eat for the first few days in their new home because they get a little stressed. Does he have a heater?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #4 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

No there is no heater but I constantly check the temperature and it has been at a steady 78F and the tank is 1.5 Gal

I am a very poor college student and only have less than $10 to my name atm
I'm trying to get a better picture but he doesn't want to stay still xD

I know it is hard to see in the picture :l but the back top of his body is a shiny purple but the rest is lacking in color and looks grey. Well he is more purple now than he was yesterday. I'm going to upload some more pics in a sec

Idk maybe I'm just being paranoid because he is my first actual pet.

Last edited by KawaiiRainbowMuffin; 08-18-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #5 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

that is the weird dot on his head, idk if it just a mark or a wound
there is a better pic of his top fin and the beard seems to look ragged kinda

sorry the pics are sideways it wouldnt let me rotate them D:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

If you mean the brown that is by his head (on the body), I've seen it commonly in bettas of his color. And it's normal. As for a red dot, no idea... The first picture shows as X.

Ammonia poisoning he would be gasping, lethargic, and not wanting to eat at all. Or so I have found with any ammonia victims.

As for fin rot... Stick to TLC. He doesn't need to be heavily medicated for something that doesn't actually look too bad other than fin curling, a little black and maybe a little raggy.

Do 100% water change per day to help rid the fin rot. This will also help with ammonia burns (gills will show this as they may be reddened).

I also recommend afterwards, to do water changes probably twice a week - especially if not filtered.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah I was pretty sure it was nothing major, if it is fin rot it would just be a mild case. I've never seen a brown/purple bodied betta before so I just thought he was a little sick. Which he might be because I just got him yesterday
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

He may actually go more lavender :3 I had a butterfly the same color... And eventually he became a lovely rich lavender that is so hard to find here.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

I say just do every other day water changes for two weeks then 2x weekly changes. I say this because I keep my breeders in 1.5 gallon containers. I test with the API Master test kit. 2x weekly water changes gives me an ammonia reading of 0 after 48 hours, less than .25 but more than 0 after 60 hours and .25 on water change day-roughly 84 hours. Changing the water every other day for 2 weeks will give any depressed immune system issues or ammonia burn a chance to heal. After that 2x weekly water changes of 100% should suffice. The color loss is common. Spitting out food is also common the first few days. Quick CUre is more for external parasites. If you can afford it, Epsom salt will probably help remove internal parasites if the case is very mild-the whitish stringy poo.
If the symptoms persist after two weeks you may want to try an internal parasite medicine with praziquantel in it.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #10 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

So should I keep adding the Quick Cure medicine for now? It helps with ick and parasites I think. Tomorrow I will be getting Aqua balance for ph levels. I'm not sure what else to do. But since I have college classes would 50% water changes be fine? Or do they have to be 100%? I just want to know so I can plan this around my classes.

also i have a whisper filter :P

Last edited by KawaiiRainbowMuffin; 08-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Tags
illness, noob help