Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 
ohvis

Lightbulb A New Betta Enthusiast has Appeared!

Hello, I'm a new Betta enthusiast, well, actually, six years ago I bought my first Betta, a solid blue Veil and after he died (he lasted for a bit more than two years) I got two other ones, a male and a female. So, I owned Betta's for three years before stopping and focusing more on a community tank, but it's been a while and I really miss having Betta fish, so I bought that handsome fellow above; Sköll, who I sometimes call "Jägermeister." Correct me if I'm wrong (no, seriously, please do), but I'm 99.99% sure that he is a marble Half Moon Betta.

Besides, when I fist got my three Betta fish, I didn't know squat. Well, I did know how to care for them and to keep them separate, but I never really got involved with them, you know what I mean?

Well, now that I'm more older and understand things better, I'm good and ready to jump into the fray and learn even more about Betta fish so that I can improve the lives of Sköll and any other future Betta fish that I may buy. Though I'll just settle for keeping one at a time.

Oh! By the way, I'm ohvis and I will be asking a lot of questions from you guys~

Last edited by ohvis; 08-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.
ohvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
thenewbettagirl

plz tell me are my fish ready when they have the lines on her face cuz i really do not no i need help and i am only 13 so i am not good with fish and when i got my fish my bff told me it not the best idea to breed betta for a first timer like me cause it very scary and violent then she was all like u get attach to thing real esay and i am a softy and stuff like that but plz help!!!!!
thenewbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
ohvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewbettagirl View Post
plz tell me are my fish ready when they have the lines on her face cuz i really do not no i need help and i am only 13 so i am not good with fish and when i got my fish my bff told me it not the best idea to breed betta for a first timer like me cause it very scary and violent then she was all like u get attach to thing real esay and i am a softy and stuff like that but plz help!!!!!
Aaa, I don't know much about breeding since I've never bred them before, but since you're only thirteen and a first time owner, you gotta listen to your boyfriend because he is right. Betta breeding is a serious thing.

You're gonna need a lot of tanks and separators and all that snazzy stuff and a female Betta can around 500 eggs, and I don't think you're prepared to take care of that many Betta fries (another term for a baby fish). It can also be really stressful on the female, and I've heard of female Betta fish dying after a failed breeding.

Then you're going to have to separate all the males from each other and I think it's safe to say that you as a first time Betta owner should not try and breed Betta fish. Also, you're gonna have to figure out what to do with all those Betta babies once they hatch. Your best bet is to wait a bit, become more familiar with the species, talk to your parents about it, talk to experienced breeders (they can offer you much more insight to the whole thing).
Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new to bettas, so I can't really help on judging colors, but Sköll is very handsome!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Welcome to Betta fish! I love your betta's name!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 
darkangel

welcome!

I think your boy is actually a red copper instead of a marble, marbles have blotches of colors. ^^
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 
ohvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
welcome!

I think your boy is actually a red copper instead of a marble, marbles have blotches of colors. ^^
Oh! Thank you. I wasn't sure, since when I bought him he was completely black with the white blotches, so I assumed that he was a marble. Then he started changing color to a more purple and then the reds started to appear and shortly after I took this photo I could see tints of blue. It's really strange. Though I'll ask around a bit more and see what others think of what he might be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #8 
ohvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Welcome to Betta fish! I love your betta's name!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you! I actually wanted to get another one of a lighter color and name it Hati to complete the whole mythology behind Sköll and Hati, but I couldn't really afford another tank for him and I didn't want to get one of those tanks with a divider since some of them could be a bit too pricey for my budget or then they were just too small to house a Betta properly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ohvis; 08-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #9 
ohvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new to bettas, so I can't really help on judging colors, but Sköll is very handsome!
Thank you so much! I'm very happy to be here. Hopefully I'll find out what Sköll actually is. He always preens and shows off his colors when he has successfully chased away his reflection.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote