Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1 
ashleylyn

I hate being a poor college student!

All I want is to buy more tanks and more bettas. I want to save all the little buggers from their awful cups and give them lots of space to swim, in nice, warm, filtered water. I want live plants, tons of hiding spaces, and to give them a nice variety of food.

But instead, I need to spend my money on tuition, housing, food, books, and my horse. Alas, it is my senior year. And once I have a real job some of my money is going toward an awesome new tank/set-up!

I guess I will have to be content with my 6 bettas currently... although I'm really itching to start getting some plakats and adding more live plants to my tank - but my LFS is so overpriced for that stuff.

/end rant :p
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #2 
Raging

I'm in the same boat with you, Ashleylyn. I just graduated and I am job hunting. I'm saving most of my money because I have to drive 12 hours if I ever want to see my boyfriend, and I also have a horse that needs wormer, new accessories, shots and shoes.

I know those feels ><
Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 
Fin Fancier

I see I'm not alone. I was just lamenting over this very topic yesterday. I've been graduated for a year, but I have managed to do some spoiling for my fishies even with the tepid job market. I'd really love a great paying job that uses my major so I could do a large NPT like I've been dreaming of.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 
Raging

Amen, Fin Fancier

I have an education degree- guess who will not be using their education degree this school year? This girl.

I'm planning on getting my sub license this week.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 
Fin Fancier

Best of luck to you Raging. I'm not in education but it would seem subbing is a good way to get some experience so when a good job does pop up you'll be able to show you're up to the challenge.
I'm a year out of college with an animal science degree/pre-vet minor. I currently work at a petsmart part time and fill out my hours as a desk clerk at a motel 6. I can't even afford to apply to vet school. Doesn't help when the vet clinics you apply to don't ever call you back. My family wonders why I waste my money on fish, but they make me happy and I find them endlessly entertaining.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 
Raging

Thank you, I'm hoping it will help some. At least it will keep my classroom management skills up.

That's horrible that none of them will call you back. I loathe waitif by the phone, hoping that someone actually remembers you. That's miserable.

And I know what you mean about the fish. I LOVE taking care of them. I get more enjoyment and satisfaction from taking care of them than I do from cleaning any part of the house. I really want another divided ten gallon but I can imagine the reaction...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #7 
Fin Fancier

I posted about a new fish on facebook last week, I'm still getting comments this week. The reactions are priceless. Though I will admit that sometimes I go a little overboard. I made a list of things I want the next time I get some money. The list for my fish was longer than things for me.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #8 
ashleylyn

I'm a history major.. my boyfriend is in the Army so once I graduate, I will be relocating with him (if all goes according to plan). So I'll be in a whole new state attempting to get a job. Though I have interned with large and small animal vets so could probably go the vet-tech route too if I wanted.

I *really* want to try my hand at breeding next summer so hopefully I'll have some money saved up.

And my horse.. well, board in NJ is ridiculous. His board alone is $720 a month. Thank goodness my parents still pay for just about everything while I'm in school or else I'd be in big trouble!
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #9 
Raging

Wow, that is an impressive board fee! That's more than my old apartment's rent. I get to keep my horse on family land behind our house so I guess I should be grateful for that.

I have an army boyfriend also :) He just got back from Korea. I'm glad he's home, I just wish he weren't so far away.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not pursuing some kind of animal degree now. My family discouraged me from it, but hey, I'm unemployed anyway, lol.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #10 
cowboy

The "poor" college student has endless possibilities and money when they finish. You wouldn't be able to save many on minimum wage. Good things come to those who study and wait:) trust me
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote