Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #1 
fishyinpa

thinking of upgrading roja,how to clean?

Well since elvis cannot use his 4.5 gallon,I was thinking of upgrading roja to it. how would i clean it(just hot water??) so it would be safe for her. I dunno if any lingering bacteria is in it,and dont need another sick fish!!

i am also considering in the near future if elvis gets better upgrading him to a 5.5 gallon. if not, a new betta(or one of me girls?) can have it.

so,any help is appreciated. thanks!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #2 
dr2b

I would think if you scrubbed the tank with really hot water it would be fine. Most bacteria and parasites cannot live in conditions that are a pretty high temperature (aka above 98 degrees). So maybe put boiling water in there or something. I think after scrubbing the tank pretty well you would be fine putting your betta in it. Hope this helps!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 
fishyinpa

Thanks dr2b!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #4 
neenjar

Any time I am sanitizing a tank after sick fish I use a bleach and water combination. then rinse, dry, rinse dry rinse, dry and rinse again. then let the tank sit in the sun for a couple days and rinse and dry a couple more times to be sure you got all the bleach out.

Filling it up with boiling water and carefully (to not burn yourself) can work too, it is just more dangerous for you as the water needs to be at a full rolling boil and you need to over flow the tank so it gets all surfaces. Then let the water cool a bit and while still very hot but not boiling scrub the inside tank surfaces.

Last edited by neenjar; 06-22-2009 at 03:02 PM.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bleach will work fine as long as its rinsed really well and put in the sun and rinsed well again, as neenjar said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6 
IonBaller07

You could also use vinegar, I think its white vinegar, it is almost as good as bleach but not as harmful if you dont rinse it all out (you still need too rinse alot)
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I used vinegar on my 4 gallon and it was just fine. I just rinsed and rinsed until the smell went away.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #8 
Angelmonster

Use a 50% 50% Water Vinegar(white) solution to clean the tank, substrate and any decorations. Rinse them off thoroughly with warm water and let them dry, Rince once again with warm water and it should be fine. The viegar is a lot less harmful with the fish and will nto stick to the glass/objects a smuch as bleach would. Just let it dry and rinse it a second time.

The only thing you might was to use bleach for is the substrate if it is an infectiont hat can spread through their droppings.
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I rinsed the daylights out of mine and let it sit a few days.