Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 
amykim2004

Unhappy perfect water condition, but lethargic

Hi Everyone.

Help new betta (fish) caregiver!

I got a new betta from petsmart last thursday. noticed some water cloudiness next day and some couple white spots on the head and darkness at the tip of the fin on my betta. Sunday evening I sterilized everything (boiled gravels, stones, artificial plants, shells) and changed water 100%. Used preconditioned water, Ready Water into 5 gallon tank with half dose of accompanied bio supplement, added half dose of API Slim Coat (2ml), half dose of salt (2 tsp aqua salt).
Tested water, looking good. 7.2 ph, zero ammonia, 82 degrees. tank is filtered, 5 gallon size with water monitoring tool.

my betta looks good... white spots are gone, color is ok, noticed on a little black dot on the body (around the spine, one side), though. BUT, it is inactive, hiding himself behind the rock, plants, on the shells, lying on the bottom, etc. No swim, unless the tank is shaken. Not responsive to food. Ate only one pellet (didnt see or ignored the other pallet).

what should i do??
amykim2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #2 
Torla

Honestly, I think you did everything possible and the rest is just because he's in an entirely new environment. My betta didn't really swim around or eat for the first few days, either. Give him some time and resist the urge to force him to move about -- I'm sure he'll come around within a week or sooner. :)
Torla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #3 
gbose

Amykim

I suspect your tank is still cycling, hence the cloudiness (do you know about the nitrogen cycle?).

Do 50% water changes every day, do NOT boil stones any more -- it was a good idea one time, but you'll stop your cycle if you do it more. Not sure what the bio supplement is, but it probably can't hurt. If you suspect ich, the 82F and salt should solve it.

Good luck
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote