Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #1 
babs711

Unhappy Is Luke sick? Help!

We just got Luke on Monday. He immediately took to his 2.5 gallon tank and was flitting all around and exploring. Every time one of us (me, my husband, my son (whose fish it's really supposed to be), or my daughter) would come into the room, he'd check us out. I was excited because I've always read that bettas are normally shy upon entering their new home. He ate really really well too.

His tank is 2.5 gal with an airstone, a heater set to around 80-82. I treated the water with Prime conditioner, 2 drops per gallon as on the bottle. I feed him 2-3 Hikari gold pellets per day and have given him bloodworms a couple of times as a treat. He was great UNTIL his water change Thursday.

I changed 50% of the water and refilled it with tap water treated with my prime conditioner. I tried to use water around the same temp as what was in my tank currently, so I bought an extra thermometer to measure what I was putting in my gallon jug to make sure.

It seems like after that point, he's been very lethargic, hiding in any hiding place he can and if he is out when we come in, he hides when he sees us. He only eats 1-2 pellets. I'm having to remove the extra ones.

His color isn't vibrant like it was when we brought him home. He looks faded and darker if that makes sense. Like the vibrant aqua blue and bright reds are faded and have a blackish tint to them almost like you photoshopped them. But they don't look rotted. And he's not flitty and flaring and active either. He's just kind of sitting up or down in a corner or near the heater, behind his leaves or behind his little treasure chest thing. Just sitting and floating, looking depressed.

So this morning, first thing, I got some aquarium salt. I did a 100% water change. I've been reading up on everything I could (on these boards). I put him in a small 1/2 gal. holding tank with a small amount of salt and some conditioned fresh water that was around 80 to start with. Then I rinsed everything really well and put in fresh, treated water and put in 1/4 tsp. of aquarium salt in both gallons of water I used (used 82-degree water). I put him back in and he just seemed the same but a bit worse. Now he's hiding in the way back on the bottom almost like he's mad at me for scooping him up in that net two different times. That was a few hours ago. We had to leave to go to my parents' house for Fathers day.

I just called my husband who is at home. He said he did eat 3 of the 4 worms he put in there and he's swimming more.

So do I keep doing these 100% water changes every day? It seemed to stress him out. I just want him to be back to his old flitty happy self. Is a partial water change (maybe a gallon and adding 1/4 tsp. salt) better? Every day? Every other day? Should I just treat him in the tiny tank with nothing else in it? But it can't be heated.

I'm at a loss and just want him to be healthy and happy and to get his vibrancy back. I'm sorry this was so long.
babs711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #2 
ashleyALE

I'm not an expert at all, but when my last Betta got lethargic like yours I kind of just thought it would pass but then it progressed into dropsy.

I don't want you to jump to conclusions or anything but just keep it in mind ( because I didn't and before I knew it, it was beyond treatable). I wouldn't do 100% water changes daily because it can stress the fish out even more, in my opinion.

While dropsy can stem from less-than-good water conditions, as far as I have learned, dropsy is not actually IN the water. Getting a water testing kit is the best move I've made since then. Doing partial water changes daily will help to control ammonia buildup and such. Clean, chlorinated water and aquarium salt are definitely some of THE best treatments for any sick fish.

Keeping him warm (at your regular 80-82) is good so is it possible to move your heater to this other tank?

I think the link I provided specifies other medications that could help if it is dropsy.

Again, it might not even be dropsy at all... just wanted to throw it out there because there aren't really any visible signs of it when it first sets in, only symptoms that could also correlate with other issues. The only time you SEE it is when it's too late.
ashleyALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I wouldn't do the 100% water change daily no. I think a 100% weekly should be fine.
Just curious, did you remove him from the tank when you did the partial change?
Maybe next time just remove him and do the change. If you have a filter, let it run through for about an hour with the conditioner in the tank) and then acclimate him to the water and put him back it.
I hope that helps.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #4 
TaraHanon

This may sound odd, even I thought it was odd until I did it. My guy was doing the same thing today after his water change and cleaning. I was sitting on the couch watching him hide away and do strange things. Then I got up and went over there only to dis cover that the water level was too high. A bit higher than normal, so I scooped some out and not he's swimming around again just like before...
S maybe check your water level...
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with 100% water changes once a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #6 
ashleyALE

DEchlorinated* :P
Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #7 
babs711

We're back home today and he's been eating like a champ since last night and this morning and he's flitting around like he was before. His color also looks much better. Yay!

Soooo....to ensure he stays this way, 100% changes once a week? What about partials? Once a week also? And do I leave him in the tank to do partials? Thanks SO SO much for your help!!
babs711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #8 
ashleyALE

so glad to hear that!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

I leave them in their tank when I do partials, I just take them out when I do full.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could do a partial once a week and a full change once a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote