Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1 
godtiermagikarp

A bunch of newbie questions.

I just got my betta two days ago from Petsmart and even after reading a bunch of threads I have mixed answers on stuff so I'm a little lost on some things.

1. How much should I be feeding him? Right now I just have these generic Aqueon pellets (they were the cheapest but idk how good they are) and I feed him three to five of them twice a day. Is that too much? Also I want to get some bloodworms, daphnia, shrimp, and higher quality pellets. What brands should I go to for those?

2. I'm stuck with a fish-in cycle in his 2.5gal tank due to my ignorance on how aquariums work (at the time I got him I didn't know about cycling; now I do). There's no filter or heater (it stays warm enough here) so how often should I change the water and how much?

3. After the tank is cycled, how often do I change the water and how much at a time?

4. Does it disturb him that I don't turn my light off until around 10 or 11 at night and I don't open the curtains until around 7 or 8? Will this disturb his sleep cycle or is he fine?

5. Once winter rolls around and I need a heater, what brand should I get? I'd like something fairly cheap and small if possible.

6. I want to upgrade to a 20gal tank at some point. What brands should I look at for this?

I think that's everything... I'm sure I'll remember more questions later though.
godtiermagikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 
georga3261

1. Anywhere from 3-6. I give my 2 year old male 4 a day. Feeding half of this total amount in the morning and half at night helps with digestion.
2.Can't Help
3.Can't Help
4.No. As long as your scheduale is similar each day, you'll find that your fish will actually enjoy the darkness and rest. Plus, it would be dark in the wild anyways.
5. The Aquen 5 gallons and under heater is good. It keeps the temperature between 24-26 degrees celcius.
6. Marineland has a cheap 20 gallon. Aqueon and Top Fin also have nice tanks of slightly higher quality.
I hope this helps!
georga3261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
georga3261

Sorry! In question 6 I meant Aqueon!
georga3261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I just got my betta two days ago from Petsmart and even after reading a bunch of threads I have mixed answers on stuff so I'm a little lost on some things.

1. How much should I be feeding him? Right now I just have these generic Aqueon pellets (they were the cheapest but idk how good they are) and I feed him three to five of them twice a day. Is that too much? Also I want to get some bloodworms, daphnia, shrimp, and higher quality pellets. What brands should I go to for those? That's fine. Each fish is different. I feed mine between 3 and 6 pellets daily, depending on who I am feeding. Every couple days they get frozen foods... I have heard San Francisco Bay brand is the brand not to get due to a high number of people complaining of parasites their fish get from them.

2. I'm stuck with a fish-in cycle in his 2.5gal tank due to my ignorance on how aquariums work (at the time I got him I didn't know about cycling; now I do). There's no filter or heater (it stays warm enough here) so how often should I change the water and how much? Though cycling a 2.5 is not unheard of, it can be a bit more difficult than a larger tank. Try to get an API masterkit - it tests everything including Ph levels. Filters (I believe) are essential in cycling. And in that case your tank won't cycle - stick to weekly water changes, even twice weekly. I'd do 50%, based on the size of tank.

3. After the tank is cycled, how often do I change the water and how much at a time?
Most cycled tanks need weekly water changes of minimal 30%, with 50% being more common nowadays.

4. Does it disturb him that I don't turn my light off until around 10 or 11 at night and I don't open the curtains until around 7 or 8? Will this disturb his sleep cycle or is he fine? I never found it bothered my fish. Just don't leave lights on overnight, especially tank lights.

5. Once winter rolls around and I need a heater, what brand should I get? I'd like something fairly cheap and small if possible. I go for adjustable heaters that YOU have control over the temperature with. This also avoids "hit and miss" with pre-set heaters. Think the ones I currently have are: Topfin, Hagen, Tetra and Eheim-Jager. Out of them all, I hate the tetra one, Topfin is alright, and I prefer both Hagen and Eheim-Jager.

Just remember to also get a thermometer if you do not have one already.

6. I want to upgrade to a 20gal tank at some point. What brands should I look at for this? The Hagen tank I have is a lot more clean than Walmart's brand of tank that they carry. The silicone doesn't peel off, very clean and well done - along with no black trim. All my Hagen tanks are the same way - they cost more, but worth it for the clean look. Some people also like Fluvals, which cost a prettier penny They are designed for looks.

I think that's everything... I'm sure I'll remember more questions later though
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 
godtiermagikarp

@georga: Thanks, but one clarification: you said 3-6 pellets a day. Is that total for the whole day, or two meals of 3-6 pellets a day?

Edit: from both the responses I'm guessing you mean 3-6 total for the whole day. I need to cut back on Winchester's feeding then I guess.

Last edited by godtiermagikarp; 08-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
godtiermagikarp is offline   Reply With Quote