Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

assassin snails vs apple snails...will they kill each other?

Okay, so I had a problem with pond snails, so I bought some assassin snails...and now I can't remember where I put them all. I did not think about this today when I purchased two apple snails...The apples are very big, like, four times the size of the assassins...but will the assassins kill them anyway? It doesn't seem possible based on size, but I don't know how aggressive these guys are either. I'm got them in QT right now so they're safe...

Should I dig around and locate the assassins, or are they pretty innocuous to the larger snails? (There are still some remaining pond snails for them to feast off of (I swear they reproduce every fifteen seconds)...I don't know why they'd overlook something small and easy in favor of something so much larger...?)

Help is appreciated! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 
LouiMon

They may ignore them if there's smaller and easier prey, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I have heard of them teaming up on large snails.

It kinda sucks once you have pond snails because you're never truly rid of them without taking extreme measures. My assassins dealt with my problem and I wish I could get rid of them and get some Nerites instead, but I know that the pond snails will just come back if I don't keep the assassins.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 
Vier

they can gather on an apple and kill it
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

A member described how her poor snail got "nailed" by an assassin and died a slow agonizing death that took days. Don't put them together. Maybe move the apple snails elsewhere.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

My Assassins are in with MTS and I haven't had a problem. However, I do target feed occasional frozen bloodworms to the Assassins. Maybe that helps
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote