Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #1 
kidsuperhero

Is my betta about to die? :( HELP!

Hi, just joined the forums, sorry this is on such short notice but I need help, QUICK!

I have a 1.5 litre gallon cube tank for my betta, Midnight. I do 100% water changes once a week. Midnight is usually a happy, bubble-blowing and hyperactive fish.

Today was the day to clean his tank. I did my normal procedure:

- Rinse and clean plastic cup
- Put him in cup
- Empty out tank
- Wash gravel
- Wash tank
- Wash accessories
- Fill tank up with new, warm water
- Add water conditioner and ammonia detoxer
- wait 30 mins
- Place cup with Midnight in tank water to help adjust temps
- wait 10 mins
- place Midnight in new water
- watch Midnight for a few minutes before determining he is okay.

Midnight is always, ALWAYS, happily swimming after I put him in. But today, not too much.. the water was appox 81 Degrees warm, and he was rapidly swimming, I mean bouncing off the gravel and sides of the tank and then he would stop motionless in the water for about 2 minutes and then slowly drift towards the corners of the tank. I immediately noticed this was a problem so I scooped him up in a cup with the new water. I then got another cup of a more colder water, chlorinated that, and waited a few mins before pouring some into his cup that he was currently in.

About 10 minutes ago I put him back in the tank (the temp was 80 degrees) and his odd behavior continued. He swam around the bottom for a little bit, then went off to the corner and is strangely motionless, rapidly breathing and not reacting to any movement. I haven't seen him swim up to breathe in oxygen either...

SORRY it is so long to read, but please the details are crucial in helping me save my fish! :((
kidsuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 
kidsuperhero

Just checked on him right now, his fins are not moving, his gills are slowly moving, he is at the very bottom of the tank, motionless and not reacting to anything, even light taps.
kidsuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #3 
blufish425

Did you forget to dechlorinate the tank water? It is likely something wrong with his water, I would do another change ASAP.

Last edited by blufish425; 08-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

I hope he's okay by now. What did you wash with? Perhaps you didn't rinse enough?
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
gbose

KidSH,

+1 to water change -- immediately. Use warm dechlorinated water.

Good luck!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #6 
Noctredors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsuperhero View Post
Hi, just joined the forums, sorry this is on such short notice but I need help, QUICK!

I have a 1.5 litre gallon cube tank for my betta, Midnight. I do 100% water changes once a week. Midnight is usually a happy, bubble-blowing and hyperactive fish.

Today was the day to clean his tank. I did my normal procedure:

- Rinse and clean plastic cup
- Put him in cup
- Empty out tank
- Wash gravel
- Wash tank
- Wash accessories
- Fill tank up with new, warm water
- Add water conditioner and ammonia detoxer
- wait 30 mins
- Place cup with Midnight in tank water to help adjust temps
- wait 10 mins
- place Midnight in new water
- watch Midnight for a few minutes before determining he is okay.

Midnight is always, ALWAYS, happily swimming after I put him in. But today, not too much.. the water was appox 81 Degrees warm, and he was rapidly swimming, I mean bouncing off the gravel and sides of the tank and then he would stop motionless in the water for about 2 minutes and then slowly drift towards the corners of the tank. I immediately noticed this was a problem so I scooped him up in a cup with the new water. I then got another cup of a more colder water, chlorinated that, and waited a few mins before pouring some into his cup that he was currently in.

About 10 minutes ago I put him back in the tank (the temp was 80 degrees) and his odd behavior continued. He swam around the bottom for a little bit, then went off to the corner and is strangely motionless, rapidly breathing and not reacting to any movement. I haven't seen him swim up to breathe in oxygen either...

SORRY it is so long to read, but please the details are crucial in helping me save my fish! :((
No, your fish is not dying. The reason he remains motionless is due to the fact that he has very little room to swim in, so he just gets bored and sits there. Yes, Bettas can get bored, and when they don't have enough room to swim, they just sit there and remain motionless. 0.2 gallons is not enough for a Betta, or any other fish. That's just cruel, it's like you being locked up in a very small room. Get him a bigger tank that is at least 2.5 gallons minimum.

I'm not trying to be mean, but 0.2 gallons is just not OK for a fish. I swear, if i had the chance i would even buy you a 5 gallon tank and sent it right to you.

Last edited by Noctredors; 08-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote