Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #1 
sourjacks

Unhappy Help diagnose my sick betta

I got my betta in April. He was always active and curious! Dark blue with red. Always so excited when I wiggled my finger at him and wanted to see what I was up to. Loved watching everything and anything! He has been sick for at LEAST three weeks now. First, I noticed he was lethargic and randomly would jump out of the water (the tank had a lid), He would be still and all of a sudden it was like a big twitch at 100 mph. His fins were decaying too. I had him in a 1.75 gallon tank - no filter. Used to have a heater but the water looked really foggy whenever I used it. I'd do 100% water changes once a week. Fed him two pellets a day - one in morning and one in evening. He had white on his fins. Went to petco after researching thinking it was internal parasites and tried to buy, erm I forgot the name it was something like Quick Cure and they discontinued it but had a similar product Herbal Betta Revive by Aquarium Solutions the man told me works. After about four days it did nothing and if anything he was getting worse. I also tried using Bettafix by API which also did nothing (not at the same time, i didn't want to mix!). In fact, I stopped when I came home to my betta floating on the top of the tank with a bubble on his side! I FREAKED out and thought he was going to die. I read it was swim bladder and didn't feed him for about 3 days - it went away very quick! I started feeding him flakes every other day but he had a lot of trouble eating them, so I just soaked his pellet before giving it to him. I went and bought a 5.5 gallon tank with a 10i tetra whisper filter and an HT10 50w heater that both accommodated his tank size. I did aquarium salt treatment for about 10 days and PolyGuard freshwater medication (both starting at the same time) and I read that having a cartridge in a filter takes out the chemicals but I stopped using the filter because the flow of the water scares him and stresses him out more! So I did more frequent water changes and would take out his poop when I saw it which by the way he RARELY POOPS but he isn't bloated at all! I do a 98% water change once a week in his 5.5 gallon but he ISN'T improving. He seemed to be a lot more active when I was doing the aq salt treatment (just the first day after water changes) and then would be extremely sluggish again. I can't even get his attention anymore unless I am feeding him, which is a very good sign that he is still eating fine. I miss his bubble nests! He sleeps ALL day with random twitches (jumping out of the water). Yesterday I noticed white cottony spots on him :l As you can see I have tried A LOT and I don't know what to do to help my poor betta I hope I covered everything! He is still on the Polyguard seachem freshwater medication although I am trying to run the filter for a few hours the past few days just because he isn't cured after the treatment.

p.s. I use stress coat by api and bettasafe by tetra when doing water changes. And he sleeps either at the top corner or bottom corner :(
sourjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #2 
darkangel

can you fill this out, its easer to find important info:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Can you attach a photo?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 
sourjacks

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? stable 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes but not using during treatment
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once one day, twice next day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stresscoat by API and Bettasafe by Tetra

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color has faded; a few white blotches
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sleeps all the time with random darts/spasms
When did you start noticing the symptoms? at least 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Read post ^^
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know

I'm trying to get a clear picture of him and will upload when I can get one. the light on the flash is stressing him out so i'm spacing out my attempts
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #4 
sourjacks

I'm on my 5th day of QuickCure and he is not showing ANY signs of improvement. I transported him to a 1.75 gallon so I can keep a close eye on him.. it was hard to see him in his 5 gal tank. In the picture there is a little big of white you can see around his eye and on his side. His fins are clamped and he has a red/orange tone but he never was like that before! He was navy blue.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 
sourjacks

anyone? :(