Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #11 
tlou5

Hi- Did everything you suggested but Plum is not looking good today. Just staying at the top, can't seem to be able to swim down. His front looks swollen as well, can't get a good angle for pictures as he is in the corner of the tank on his leaf. Haven't fed him today due to the swelling. Temperature is 80. Do I need to buy a testing kit? Is there something wrong with ph perhaps? Should I do the water change again today or will that stress him too much? I am very worried.
tlou5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No pH is fine, Betta's can adapt extremely well to many different water chemistries which is why they are so popular for pet's. The swelling might be due to the salt, how much salt did you put in? For now I want you to do a 100% water change to get rid of the salt since he's obviously not acting well towards it and when you put the new water in, just use conditioner and that's it.

You can feed him 1 or 2 pellets to keep up his strength.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #13 
tlou5

We put in what the box recommended for a 2 G tank- two rounded teaspoons. We did dissolve it before putting it in as you suggested too. He is swimming now a bit more so maybe I am over reacting. (New Paranoid Fish Owner here). Should I wait for the water change and see how he does? Will feed him now and see how he acts. Thanks again for all of your help. The book I bought and PETCO people really don't provide the amount of education needed for this. Very grateful for this website.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's true, he could have just been waking up from sleeping. Wait until half the day is up to see what he does. The bloat still concerns me a bit since AQ salt makes them retain fluids which would contribute to the bloating is all. If he's still not looking to well by mid-day/late day then go ahead, do the 100% and let him rest until tomorrow and then you can use the meds you got. What are the meds called that you got?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #15 
tlou5

Just fed him 2 1/2 pellets. We do have to cut them in half or they are too big for him to swallow. Is this because he is young? He did eat like his little piggy self and is definitely swimming more and all over the tank so hopefully I am just new and ultra paranoid after the ICK thing.

The medicine is called Sentry Coppersafe- supposed to be good for Ick, velvet, and external parasites. Is that an acceptable med? There was one other brand, but was different than the one you suggested as well. I can buy that if you think the Sentry is not good.

Oh and I do think his color is better today though.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Coppersafe is okay, it's a bit more harsh but it will work if you use as directed to a T. But it should work better than the salt. Does he still have those dots today?

What kind of pellets are you getting him? New Life Spectrum the Betta Formula or the Small Fish formula are some of the smallest, healthiest pellets for him and he should be able to eat them no problem.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #17 
tlou5

We are feeding him Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Since he is swimming more I can try to get a pic, maybe what I think is bloating is normal? I am so new to this I don't really know what is normal yet.

He has gray under chin, but the body color is much improved.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay! Omega is great too! You might want to consider getting NLS anyway so you can feed both as fish like a variety in their diet. You wouldn't want to eat broccoli all day every day right? haha But just the NLS is smaller so it would be easier for him to eat and for you, but either way is great since you already have him on a wonderful food!

Yeah the grey is just from stress and losing his color, that's normal but will deepen up when he's feel better is all. And yes I'd like pics! It could just be that he is well fed. Have you seen his poop at all? It should be orange/brown in color and sort of curly solid thing, bigger than pellets generally and on the bottom of the tank usually. Sometimes they fall between the gravel and that's why it's important to do a siphon cleaning in tanks that you don't just pick up and dump in the sink lol.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #19 
tlou5

Here are some pics just to be safe. Does have white specks still, but I think less grayish than he was.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wow, yeah he's actually got a lot of Ich on his tail as well, so we'll definitely have to keep dosing him. However, it's hard to tell about the bloating and all but I would discontinue salt just in case, I'd rather not have him go into Dropsy mode!

Okay, do you remember what that other med at the store was by chance?

Also if you live near a wal-mart, they have Jungle products. I particularly like Quick Cure which is only 1 drop per gallon; easy easy, and then Ick Clear is good too. But I think getting Quick Cure might be your best bet and the easiest on both you and your boy