Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #31 
tlou5

Hello Again- Plum is still not well but does swim and stay down more today then he did yesterday and comes forward to see if we have food for him. Haven't fed him yet just cause his front part (? cheeks or stomach) still seems swollen....not the back part though. Color not really improved yet but I know you said it could take a few days. He just looks so pathetic
tlou5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah it happens :-/

Okay so I just want to give you some pictures for reference ^_^

(not my picture) but here is a boy who is well fed, most likely fed on a diet of live foods. But you can see his stomach behind his gills is very full and he looks healthy. (Top picture he's flaring his beard out so that's that yellow and black thing)

And one of my boy's; Jarvis, he's got constipation issues and will only poop once a week but is otherwise healthy. You can see her he's got quite the stomach s well but it's still not what I'd consider bloating or anything, just well fed. Now if I knew that he hadn't eaten in a week and still looked like this, then yeah I'd be worried but this was right after a meal.

And one of my former girls who was Eggy at the time, so she looks rather bloated and I thought she might have been until she dropped her eggs the next morning and went very skinny lol.

And this was one of my girls who passed due to Dropsy which is an organ failure. So either her kidney's or her liver failed and stopped processing the fluid and so she began to retain the fluids which leads to pineconing as you can see; it's the scales becoming raised as the Betta swells and then eventually death. I don't mean to scare you or anything! This doesn't just happen all the time!!! This is my first fish to die of Dropsy so no worries about it effecting your fish!

She was a big girl anyway, she was Plakat so shorter fins with a bigger, thicker body. So I didn't catch Dropsy in time and sometimes you can catch it early enough and reverse the effects depending on what fails and when you catch it. But she died the next day even with treatment, but she's in a better place now

And this last picture I attached is the sort of Bloat you'd want to watch out for, this poor boy definitely has it bad. So your boy is just well fed is all, sometimes it takes them longer to process food depending on their health status so a little bulge is to be expected
Attached Images

lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #33 
tlou5

Oh thank you for the pictures- his stomach looks much more "normal" now. As the morning goes on he is a bit perkier today and not as lethargic as yesterday so am hoping that is a good sign. He is still gray and has white spots though but hopefully the medicine will kick in in a few days...will feed him some pellets in a bit. Including some pics so you can see him as well today. The last one is by his favorite purple plant, initially when we got him he would always dive into and stick his butt up blending in but hadn't done that since being ill so am hoping it is a good sign that he is back to swimming in his favorite plant and not just resting on the leaf at top.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol cute!! Yeah he's looking good actually, minus the Ich of course but he looks over all healthy! I'm glad he's swimming as well ^_^ they do rest a lot so that's pretty normal. I mean, you wouldn't want to drag a huge tail around all day long would you? lol, all seems well though!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #35 
tlou5

Umm... actually I DO carry around a pretty big tail lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #36 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh? lol
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #37 
tlou5

Just thought of how that could come off- I am a female and active on My fitness Pal too trying to lose weight. Wasn't trying to be nasty or anything, just joking about my weight!

Plum seems energy wise much better, lounges a lot but does swim a fair bit too. Still oodles and oodles of white stuff though but hopefully that will start to improve tomorrow

Last edited by tlou5; 08-22-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, no that's fine! I was thinking of a few different things, weight came to mind first and then carrying a kid around and then dressing up in a fursuit which my friends do as well so no worries! I thought it was rather funny ^_^

that's great about Plum! Hopefully he continues on the good path seems like he will though so that's great!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #39 
tlou5

Plum still has white spots but maybe a little less? Now his scales look sort of like they have been sanded off in spots. Is that cause the ICK is off of those areas now? Or because of something new? Enclosing a few pics, but he isn't really cooperating. Spending most of the day resting on his leaf near the top of the water. Is this normal?

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's fine, they might not go away for a whole week or so. So just keep using the meds, doing the water changes and keeping the heat steady at the 78-80 you have it at