Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #41 
sliderdkp

My new betta was a neongreen/blue when I got him a week ago. He is in a 5 gal fluval, that is filled with spring water properly dosed through the week with Stability. His water stays at 78 degrees with heater. Today I decided it was time to do a partial water change. I used the Gravel vac hose to remove the water. Max, the betta freaked out, swimming wildly around the tank. Water has been replaced with proper temperature water. Now Max is having some color change on his fins under his belly, redness. Did he bruise the fins? Something else? I really like this little guy. He replaced my other betta that died after 2 years. I'm still a beginner. Did/have I done something wrong? he has been fine all week, happily enjoying his new space.
sliderdkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderdkp View Post
My new betta was a neongreen/blue when I got him a week ago. He is in a 5 gal fluval, that is filled with spring water properly dosed through the week with Stability. His water stays at 78 degrees with heater. Today I decided it was time to do a partial water change. I used the Gravel vac hose to remove the water. Max, the betta freaked out, swimming wildly around the tank. Water has been replaced with proper temperature water. Now Max is having some color change on his fins under his belly, redness. Did he bruise the fins? Something else? I really like this little guy. He replaced my other betta that died after 2 years. I'm still a beginner. Did/have I done something wrong? he has been fine all week, happily enjoying his new space.
It's common for Betta's to freak out when something new comes into their territory, especially something they can't get away from or kill themselves. He's most likely going pale but once he calms down he'll gain color again. Betta's can dull/pale or brighten their colors basically on command, if they get stressed out; like us, they can go pale. But when they are content in their living space and living it out, they color up to their true colors, much like dressing up for us.

So it's normal for them to do that, just be careful when you do water changes is all, try not to have many big or jerky movements and then careful when pouring the water back in is all
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #43 
sliderdkp

Thank You!

He's swimming around fine, maybe a little less active, but looks good, no torn fins or any new changes. He's a pretty nice little guy!
sliderdkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #44 
Toby1985

How to tell if diseased?

Can you explain what in the pictures show the fish has Ich? I am a new betta owner here and a constantly worried fish mommy! I would love to learn what to look for! Here is a pic of my little guy.. He lives in a 5 gal heated filtered tank..

He has a white-ish face (always has) but some of the white is a brilliant white that concerned me..

I also spent a few weeks worrying about his the end of his tail which looks black occasionally until I realized that it is the light blue section of his tail that layers up on the red and looks dark. when fanned out it is actually a light blue!

Thanks for your posts and help!
Attached Images

Toby1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #45 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's not sick at all. That white is iridescence, try looking that up. Iridescence is what makes a fish shine and pretty much every fish has some sort of iridescence unless it's been selectively bred out of them but that's difficult to do. And yes all that blue on him is also iridescence as well.

Colors on Betta's happen in layer's, so different colored Betta's actually have different layers. Blue is the top layer, then stripping down it goes to black, red and then yellow so it's like an onion (Shrek reference ) lol, or a parfait if you prefer lol. And then iridescence is the very very top layer over blue that makes a fish shiny. And it will also become dull when a fish is stressed and then become really bright when a fish is content again.

EDIT: and you'll know when your fish is sick usually. Ich are little white cysts that attach themselves to the fish, if you google it, you'll see pictures of white dots on fish. That's Ich, also known as White Spot disease. Fairly simple to care for as far as diseases go. But the general signs can be found in one of our sticky Articles in the Betta Emergencies, Illness and Disease section. Should be one of the ones at the top; Common Betta Illnesses I think and it gives a list of sicknesses that you can read on and then google them to get more information on them and how to successfully treat them. That's what I did at least and then just talking with people gave me more ideas of what to do ^_^

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 08-31-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #46 
Toby1985

Thank you for the reply!! The internet is a scary place lol!

I combined his Iridescence with the fact that he is a super speedy swimmer and likes to dart back and forth across the front of his fish bowl and generally swim very fast with a super disease !!

Unless his darting is something bad?? He is a happy happy fishy and very interactive and eats well and has always been a darter except for the first week when he was in a brutal 1G glass fish bowl. (I have had him for about a month)
Until I started reading online I wasn't concerned (I just assumed he was happy and active since he has the space).
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Some fish just dart or are very quirky while others are much more laid back and chill. You most likely just have a younger fish so he has all the energy haha. My young boys do that too while my two older ones just chill out on their plants for most of the day
Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #48 
Toby1985

Awesome :)
Thanks!!