Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #1 
Dagon

Question This is my first betta and I'm not sure if he's sick or just stressed

I just bought my first betta just under a week ago. He's in a 1gal desktop minibow aquarium, the one with the built in filter and light.
Temp: 77-81F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: about 6.5-7
Hardness: 60ppm
Carbonate hardness: 80-120ppm
I did a partial (25-35%) water change 2 days ago, and then again today. Tested the water each time, parameters have been the same each time. I add ammoniasafe and bettasafe to the water before I put it in the tank.
I've been trying to feed him the OmegaOne betta buffet pellets a couple times a day, but he'll either grab one, chew and spit, or he'll just stare at it and swim away.
When I brought him home his color was dark, red/blue body with iridescent blue on his back, but now he's pale red and the iridescence is gone, and his gills and chin have turned silver, and his eyes are a paler blue.
He isn't acting sick, he'll dart around the tank constantly unless he's sleeping. When the light is on he'll swim back and forth on one side of the tank against the glass, I think he can see his reflection because he just goes nuts on that side.
He isn't swimming sideways, I don't see any white fuzz or gold dust on him, he doesn't "twitch" but his movements are sudden and fast almost all the time.
Is he sick or just stressed and still getting used to his new home? Should I be worried?
Attached Images

Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #2 
ReeseInPieces

If he is stressed out you might want to try covering the tank with a dark shirt so he can relax. He's not swollen? Also have you had any problems with the ornaments? Some time they leech toxic chemicals into the water, do they smell funny? Feel slippery or slimy?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #3 
ReeseInPieces

Could you fill out the info sticky?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 
Dagon

Yeah I put all the info from the sticky into my post.

No I haven't noticed anything wrong with the ornaments, they feel fine, there's no slime or even anything growing on them. I've had his light off for half the day today and he seems to have calmed down slightly, but he's still pale. He's discovered that the castle is hollow and has been hiding in there occasionally also.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 
ReeseInPieces

Is their a heater in the tank? He might be upset about a change in water conditioners possibly, unless you are using the same stuff the pet store was.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 
Dagon

The ornaments themselves don't smell but the water smells funny. Should the water smell at all? No, there's no heater. I didn't think I needed one since the water is already warm enough.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #7 
ReeseInPieces

Usually you need a heater for betta fish unless you live in 30+ climate. What does the water smell like? Eggs? Sulfur? Chemicals?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
Dagon

It kind of smelled like eggs, I did a 100% water change and changed the gravel earlier today. It still smells a little funny but nothing like it did before. I'll buy a heater tomorrow morning after class.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #9 
countyrd419

Good evening dagon, Just make sure that when you do your water change, It is a must that you add a water treatment to combat the chemicals that are in it. I use the Stress Coat Water Treatment solution from API which is sold at Petsmart.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #10 
ReeseInPieces

Sorry didnt see your mention of the water temperature. The benefit your heater will have on your fish thou is that the the temperature of the water won't fluctuate with the room tempurature. :) to drastic fluctuations can result in lower immune systems. Sound like your fishy has been fine in regards to temperature. The eggs smell is coming from sulfur dioxide building up, maybe there isn't enough oxygen circulating? I do 100% water changes every 4 days for my 1 gallons and then maybe 50% water changes every 2 days, if you don't have a filter I would suggest the same to avoid ammonia poisoning, although you have stated that there wasn't any present. Hmmm I don't think you would have to change gravel, just rinse it really well a couple times.