Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #1 
kenouboom

spawn not happening!?!

I tried spawning my bettas... Male blew big bubble nest and was showing off for the female... so I release her a few hours after.... there was chasing, but not much bitting! on the second day the female was inspecting the nest but would get chased away... few hours like this and then it's like they wanted to mate but seems not one knows how to ... should I recondition for a few weeks and try again?
kenouboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How did you condition? How long have they been together? Some fish may take a while to figure it out... Up to two weeks.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #3 
kenouboom

They were condition for 3 weeks... and they have been together 4 days now...no fins torn apart so guessing thats a good sign?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It doesn't really mean anything, actually. Some pairs will rip each other up and some will get off without a scrape. How did you condition them?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 
kenouboom

Frequent water changes like every 2 days( 50%) ... and pellets twice a day. ( only give 2 each) i tried frozen food both they both reject it. indian almond leaves were put in their tanks during conditioning... but use regularly anyways...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok... That may be the reason. When I condition I feed my fish four times a day with pellets and frozen (or live if I have it) food, do frequent water changes, and let the pair see each other for fifteen minutes a day.

How is the spawn tank set up? What is the temperature of the water?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #7 
kenouboom

water is 80 to 82... i have a styrofoam cup cut in half and tape so it stays put... put in some indian almond leaves... piece of driftwood, fake plants for hiding... and an sponge filter...
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 
Darth

To much is put on the word "Condition" if you feed your bettas twice a day with high quality food, this does the same thing as "Conditioning".
It is also good to card the breeders and let them see each other for a couple minutes a day.
Pellets are not my choice for bettas, daphnia frozed, Brine shrimp, white worms, grindals and a few more..I don't like black worms or tubifex I have had nightmares with those they are infested and I do not care where they are from.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #9 
kenouboom

I have tried Microworms, frozen brine shrimp and black larve frozen but they refuse this food... the one thing they love is the pellets... I will seperate them again recondition... and this time let them see each other a few minutes a day... hopefully next time around works
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #10 
Darth

Don't feed them for 2 days, then offer the frozen. you need to get them eating good food, pellets are at best Ok even with the higher protein some offer, frozen is the way to get fish going live white worms are even better.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote