Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Am I worrying too much?
yes 2 100.00%
no 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 
GGRiot

Exclamation Help Please!!! BLACK SPOTS!

This is my first betta and also my first fish that I've had to take care of and when I bought him he didn't really have these spots but I don't know if it's my eyes tricking me or me acting like a first time parent where I think everything is an issue.
His name is King Neptune
He lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater
he has black gravel on the bottom and 1 live plant.
Even though he has a filter I have changed his water at least 3 times since i got him with was August 1.
They seem to be getting darker. He wasn't eating for awhile and i think he was just constipated from over feeding and since fixing his eating schedule he has been eating better but those spots still worry me. I tried using bettafix but he was so liturgic i thought it was bad for him. Please help my baby.

The first picture is when I bought him the second was taken today
Attached Images

GGRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 
darkangel

color changing in bettas is normal, some bettas carry the marble gene and may drastically change color throughout their lives. he seems to look ok to me. :)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #3 
GGRiot

Red face

Thank you so much I've been stressing out. :)
GGRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
nsarafov

Go to your local pet store and buy aquarium salt, put that in your aquarium regularly to prevent disease and promote health. As for the black spots, to make sure it's a pesticide, when you tap the glass of your tanks, does your fish dart in the tank? If he does give your fish a salt bath with aquarium salt. What you do is take 1 gallon of water and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt and wait for all the salt to dissolve. Then put your fish in the gallon of salt water for five minutes. Then put him back in his tank. Also, you should always have salt in your tank to prevent this from happening. Read the instructions on the aquarium salt package to see how much you should put in for a freshwater tank. Also ask your local pet store for a pesticide medicine for your betta. Also, keep your tank a little warmer then usual. It's always good when your betta isn't feeling well.
nsarafov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 
nsarafov

Do some research on the disease before diagnosing your fish, bettas will change colour all the time! :)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 
nsarafov

Do you have a local pet store called petsmart???
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 
TiffanyP

I have to respectfully disagree with you nsarafov regarding the aquarium salt - I've read many posts on here, and personally been given advice, that aquarium salt should be used only as a treatment and not a regular additive. According to many of the more knowledgeable members on here, aquarium salt should only be used for 10 days max, then give the fish a break for a few days in regular conditioned water, and then try again if the first treatment didn't work.

As for your little guy though GGRiot, I think he looks fine. I would up the water changes a bit though with a tank that small. In the sticky that oldfishlady posted (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758), a 1-4 gal tank with a filter, should have a 50% change of water only per week, and a second 50% change with a vacuum to get poop and uneaten food out of the gravel on the bottom. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing a good job :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote