Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #1 
ashleylyn

My sorority girls :)

I've had the 4 girls together for about a week now and after some pretty bad fin nipping the first couple of days, they seem to have duked it out and accepted their positions in the tank. I wanted to do at least 5, but I would've been overstocked. I didn't intend to do a sorority, but after some of my other fish passed and I treated my tank, I decided that's what I wanted to do. But I grew fond of my guppies and didn't have the heart to get rid of them. They have lots of hiding spots, fake and real plants, and a couple of tankmates. I'm probably close to being overstocked, but I keep up with my water changes and everyone is happy. :)

They're on pellets and supplemented with freeze dried bloodworms, which they LOVE. So do the guppies. :p I plan on adding more real plants when I have the money and eventually (hopefully!) upgrading to a 20 gallon for Christmas (it will be on my wish list!). And then more girls will be added of course.

My girls are still unnamed though! Since I wasn't sure if there would be a catastrophe, I refrained from naming them.. but I think now they've proven they can all live together in relative comfort and deserve names. I love Greek/Roman mythology and medieval sounding names, so suggestions are welcome. They're nothing fancy - Petsmart rescues. But I love them and all of their quirky personalities. They're each so different.

And my boys are doing well, too! Active and vibrantly colored. :D One will be coming to school with me, the other will be in my mom's care until I'm home on the weekends lol. But her and my dad used to have a 55g with sharks and whatnot, so they're definitely capable of handling some more freshwater fish!

Here's the alpha.. she's a bit of an instigator, but she's taken a chill pill and has mellowed out immensely.

This girl is second in command - her and the alpha had a really bad fight, but I let them work it out. Only fins were damaged, thank goodness. They're all fine aside from nips. She still likes to play dominant, but she backs down a lot more. And there's also Giuseppe, my albino cory. <3 I almost didn't buy this girl, to be totally honest. But something told me to (my kind heart, maybe?! haha).. and she's got SO much personality. I'm so happy I got her!

This girl is 3rd in the hierarchy. She looks a bit stressed here, probably was just chased. But I assure you she colors up to this beautiful royal blue. :) I have a soft spot for her. Actually, with decent food she's starting to get this gorgeous purple hue to her. I'm interested to see how she continues to grow! She's fairly tiny.

And then there's this little darling. The lowest in the hierarchy. Keeps to herself, doesn't instigate, and avoids getting in everyone's way. She's a beautiful turquoise in the light.

ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #2 
ashleylyn

I should also add - the nips are days old. They're regrowing already, thank goodness! I added Stress Coat and it seems to be doing its job. :)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 
ashleylyn

Yay! I'm watching my girls right now since their tank is next to my desk and 3 of them are swimming together and there hasn't been one flare or chase. :)