Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #1 
Rjlupin

Water Change Acclimation

I've found a really slow way to acclimate your fish during a fish-in partial water change. (Someone told me chasing your fish and putting it in a separate container can be stressful.)

So, I have a reverse-syphon set up with a bit of hose from the air bubbler. It's taking about 20 minutes per gallon to fill back up, but if you have a sick or vulnerable fish, this information might be useful. You just have to make sure the clean water container is wholly above the water level of the receiving tank.

I also made sure the temperatures weren't too different with a simple finger test.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #2 
LouiMon

I didn't know you needed to acclimate for partial water changes? I've always just siphoned the old and poured in the new.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
Rjlupin

I left my fish in the tank. Maybe I didn't make that clear.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 
gbose

+1 to leaving the fish in the tank. I wouldn't worry about acclimation with a partial water change. Make sure you use a dechlorinator! (Prime is good)
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 
Rjlupin

She's just a fry, so I'm worried about her immune system being compromised. I'd never add water to a tank without treating it first...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #6 
sainthogan

I actually did something similar when my female was in a 1/2 gallon bowl and got sick with Velvet. I was a newbie and didn't know better for size, temperature and cleaning. But when she got sick and I was waiting to get a 5 gallon, I would change her 100% everyday without taking her out of her bowl. I wasn't acclimating, but water temp for her bowl and what was going in was room temp, and I would siphon out at the same time I was siphoning in. It worked really well, and didn't stress her out anymore than necessary.
But now that I have my 5 gallon, I just siphon out water, and pour new water in.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote