Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #1 
ashleyALE

Ich Treatments

If you aren't interested in the back story, you can skip all of this

Alright, so... I stare at my tank quite a bit everyday and about 6 days ago, I noticed about 5 or 6 white spots on one of my guys. I knew it was Ich because I've dealt with it with other fish in the past.

I treated him with Coppersafe. I know a lot of you don't like anything with Copper in it, but it was what I had to use. Better than nothing. I tried to raise the water temp but I think my heater is already on MAX and my tank stays around 79-80F. Added a little salt to the water. Over the next couple of days I saw less of the Ich on him.

On the 19th, I saw no visible signs of Ich. I know this means that they might just be in another stage of their lifecycle. On the 21st I started seeing more Ich but this time, MUCH smaller spots that before. Atleast half the size of the others, and LOTS and LOTS more of them. So small that I can only see them when he's positioned a certain way under the light.

[START HERE IF YOU SKIPPED THE ABOVE STUFF]

I've come to the conclusion that what little Coppersafe I had left must of been too old to do anything. It also confuses me that one treatment is supposed to treat the tank for a month. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, what is everyone's FAVORITE meds for Ich and how are they used regarding dosing, filter media, water changes and such. I need something that I know works without me having to deal with trial and error!

Thanks
ashleyALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #2 
ashleyALE

31 views and no response? :[
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never had to treat for ick so I can't help you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #4 
jeaninel

I've only used QuickCure (Malachite Green and Formalin) for ich and had good results. However the instructions on the box say to treat for 3 days but as you know this is not long enough. I treated daily for about 7 days and did water changes about every 3 days before re-treatment. I don't run carbon in my filters (except to remove meds at the end of treatment) but if you do it needs to be removed. I have not had to treat my bettas for ich so not sure how this med will affect them.

Last edited by jeaninel; 06-25-2009 at 07:45 PM.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #5 
LiyahsGrandma

Don't know what ich is. So I can't help you either. Thanks to you I can research and find out about this disease.
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #6 
neenjar

Salt bath is the best ich treatment I have used on fish that it is safe for. Betta's are ideal salt bath candidates. Salt bath's are most effective for parasites, fin rot, and ulcers. If you can get that heat up above 81 degrees would be ideal too.

Malachite green treatments work good too, but dye your tank silicon green forever and the fish get pretty sickly looking during the treatment. Jeaninel gave ideal malachite green treatment. I have used Rid-Ich in the past with success, but had better success with salt baths for fish that can take it.

A combination of the two would probably be best.

What you described a few spots then go away is when you really need to watch out, because that is the precursor to the major outbreak. The only time the parasite is vulnerable to the malachite green or other medications is after the first few small ones fall off ans before the massive outbreak of babies comes.

If you do not use an undergravel filter and have substrate that you can boil, take it out and boil it! wash and scrub the tank with hot salt water then rinse it well. You really can not replace your filter media or the tank will surely mini cycle, but you should rinse it in some treated water (not tank water)

LiyahsGrandma - Ich is a parasite Ichthyophthirius multifilis that looks like salt crytals on your fishes scales. un treated it is very deadly, also very contagious. Any utensils you use to handle sick fish should be sterilized before being used again. Ich is also and exception to the separate the sick fish for medication rule. you need to treat the entire tank if you have more than 1 fish in it.

Ich lives in the substrate mostly so cleaning that is your key!

Last edited by neenjar; 06-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I've used Jungle Ich Guard, you don't have to rasie the temp and it cures it FAST.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #8 
ashleyALE

ahhh thank you so much neenjar!

and jeaninel, i've been doing exactly as you said!! i figured 3 days was much to short as the life cycle of the parasite is 7 days :]

thank you everyone!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #9 
neenjar

I've never tried that. If I have to deal with it again in the future I may try it.

The only good thing about ich is... Once a fish has had it and lived through it, they become highly resistant to it, immune really, but like humans with chicken pox, a small percentage don't get that immunity.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #10 
ashleyALE

salt bath instructions?