Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 
annalizd

White stuff on fins

I've been continually posting in a separate thread, but I thought this picture was interesting enough to start a new thread. I've been treating little guy for fin melt, he's been on Triple Sulfa for two weeks now. Does everyone think this is fin melt?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwX2...it?usp=sharing
annalizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #2 
darkangel

I don't see any fin melt/rot. He does look clamped though.

When did you get him?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #3 
annalizd

7 months ago
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 
sunlight

Not sure but he definitely has some kind of external infection, so it good that you are treating him. I read your previous thread briefly. Tried to compare the pictures , not sure, does he looks any better OR acting any better since you treating him with second course of the medications? Still eating?
Frozen food would be good for him.
And if after you finish with medications change the water every 3 days and if you can add stress coat, unless you already doing it.
If you still think he is sick you can treat him with aquarium salt. Aquarium salt you can buy at any pet store.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 
annalizd

He's eating like a champ! It's great! I give him frozen blood worms every other day for dinner, and some pellets other times. His fins look like they're getting worse... Which is hard to believe since he's had daily water changes dosed with triple sulfa. Once I'm out of triple sulfa treatments I might go to AQ, I used it for a month at a low dose before I was informed that it's bad to do AQ for that long. It didn't stop the fin rot though.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's because AQ salt doesn't help fin rot, its the daily water changes that does. AQ salt just irritates the slime coat into producing more which can help for external parasites that might want to cling on but are thrown off when the slime coat sheds. It also balances electrolytes but that helps nothing.

It looks like he's got a cyst on his tail if I'm seeing that right. Can you get a few more pictures at all, different angles preferably?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #7 
annalizd

I can try and get more tonight. I don't think it's a cyst, other fins of his were doing that before I started the TS. The tips of his fins are bloody and it looks like the white stuff is the fins literally sloughing off. :(
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

is it like bright white or a clear-ish white or a grey-white? Is it on all his fins or just his caudal and is it on his body at all?

He's eating fine, that's good, is he pooping fine as well? Do you know how old he is because he looks pretty darn skinny to me so wondering if he was an older fish or not.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #9 
annalizd

Yeah I'm feeding him twice a day trying to fatten him up. I'm not sure on his age, I have had him (and another fish in a separate tank) for 8 months. I'll take a closer look but the white substance looks pretty bright white. He had some on his pectoral fins but it fell away quickly after the triple sulfa treatment. The aquarium filter is off right now but I could turn it back on.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, that's good.

Can you give me a run down of what exactly has happened to him since this started and all the stuff that you've used to try to help? Also has anyone else come up with a diagnosis at all, I didn't see the other thread you mentioned.