Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #11 
annalizd

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=244514

That should be the previous thread.

I had thought it was fin rot, someone else suggested it may be fin melt.

He started getting fin rot 2 months ago, I got a water testing kit and some AQ which I used for a month but it just got worse, so I reached out here for help. He's in a 2 gal tank (When I first got my two fish I was told to get a tank between 1 gal and 5 but I've read on here tanks should be 5 to 10 gallons).

For two weeks now I've used triple sulfa on him and he's been improving, he's less lethargic and eats more. After one week of triple sulfa I stopped and he immediately got worse. He was lethargic and just resting on the bottom of his tank. I turned off the filter and started another week of triple sulfa. His appetite immediately returned and he was swimming around again. I have 3 more doses in the pack I have, not sure if I should buy more TS or something else. Suggestions?
annalizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh lol that one, I did comment ^_^

wow, his fins shriveled fast! How fast did that happen?

But you can continue to use the Triple Sulfa, if it's helping him that much then just go right ahead to continue it. There's not much reason to stop.

No idea about the fins but it's not melt and it's not rot so probably bacterial in nature which the TS should help. Of course at this stage I don't think much is going to help his fins at least but as long as his activity level stays up as well as his appetite, he might have a chance
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #13 
annalizd

My poor man :( he's a trooper!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That he is!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #15 
annalizd

viola
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

it could have been some sort of bacterial infection as I mentioned before while that's what fin rot is. Fin melting I'm not so sure about since it's not very common to see so I have yet to actually make a diagnosis for it or anything.

The white fluffy stuff make me think columnaris so if you wanted, you could try switching to Furan-2 which will help, it's another antibiotic.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #17 
sunlight

I would definitely finish medications first. I know you going with second course of it.
I missed the point that you used aq salt before. I still think that aq salt is very helpful when fish has mild fin rot. Of course if it bad it will not help.
How much of the salt you used before?
I was helping some one who had betta with very bad case of fin rot. She treated him for 10 of the aq salt (3tsp/gall) and it didn't help. Then she treated with triple sulfa . He did survive but his fins didn't grow back for 6 month. He almost didn't have any fins for 6 month . He couldn't even swim . He missed his food because he couldn't swim , he was kind just looks like dart and hand in one place all the time. He looked like a female betta baby even less fins. No dorsal fins at all. But he was still eating. So we deside to treat him again with aq salt (3tsp/gall) + we added stress coat. I still don't understand what happened but after 12 days of that treatment his fins started to grow faster and he was not longer hanging on the top in the corner. So i think aq salt can be very helpful in some cases.
But again you need to use right dosage and duration.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

AQ salt is not helpful, it's the daily water changes that are. Using salt puts stress on the kidney's which can lead to Dropsy as I pointed out before.

All AQ salt does is aggitate the slime coat and balance electrolytes. Fin rot comes from poor water quality so the best thing to fix it: improve your water quality.

And considering this boy was on AQ salt for a month at 1 tsp/gal I believe, he should never be on salt again while he still lives. There's too much of a chance that his liver or kidney's will fail.

I agree though, just continue what you're doing OP and hope for the best.