Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Female has swollen belly -- please help

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago my female's belly has become extremely swollen. I don't know what's wrong! I tried fasting her for a week, but it made no difference. Could she be egg bound? She lives in a divided tank with a male. Or could it be parasites? Or fluid buildup? I just don't know. :/

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons (divided)
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A male betta, though that tank is divided.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta buffet pellets, occasionally freeze-dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, once in the morning, once at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? SeaChem Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her stomach has become extremely swollen, though she isn't pineconing. One side of her belly seems a bit larger than the other.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. She's been acting perfectly normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I fasted her for the first week to no avail. After that I continued to feed her.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. I have had her for about a year. She's a pet store fish.

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  Image 3.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  62.6 KB

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Saphira101; 10-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #2 
MorganC2010

I was going to suggest fasting but I see you did that. So I'm bumping here for you hopefully someone can come and help you better! And is she a crowntail female? Also is it just me or are her fins a bit clamped?
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I know she's not egg-bound, that would be more in the front of her body not the back half as you see in the picture here. Sometimes organ failure takes a while to actually kill a fish but this is looking a lot like another case we've got going here, let me see if I can find the thread for you. Here is it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=swollen

I'm not sure if they found a cure yet as I haven't read the whole thing but that's what it's looking like to me :-/
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #4 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
I was going to suggest fasting but I see you did that. So I'm bumping here for you hopefully someone can come and help you better! And is she a crowntail female? Also is it just me or are her fins a bit clamped?
Yes, she's a crowntail. Her fins aren't clamped, they just looked like it in that picture. She barely ever stops moving!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Well I know she's not egg-bound, that would be more in the front of her body not the back half as you see in the picture here. Sometimes organ failure takes a while to actually kill a fish but this is looking a lot like another case we've got going here, let me see if I can find the thread for you. Here is it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=swollen

I'm not sure if they found a cure yet as I haven't read the whole thing but that's what it's looking like to me :-/
Thank you for the link. The fish in that thread ended up dying... Is there anything I could do for my girlie? General cure maybe? Epsom salts? Is it possible that she has internal parasites?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can try any of them but I'm not sure if it will help. There's a possibility of internal parasites but since the symptoms are so much similar, I'm thinking there isn't. However, you can always try, it won't ever hurt to try. So you can do ES and in conjunction with anything for anti-parasites. Jungle makes one, another is Metronidizole, Maracyn II might work, and then PraziPro should work if it's internal parasites.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #7 
Saphira101

Thanks. I think I'll go get the stuff tonight. Should I treat the other fish in the tank too? In case it does turn out to be parasites and he has them as well?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #8 
Saphira101

I was just trying to recall what color her poop was, but come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing her poop since she got so bloated looking... Could she be constipated?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I doubt she's just constipated, the swelling isn't in the right area for constipation. If she were constipated it would be more towards the front of the fish, not in the back half where it is if that made sense.

You can treat the other's if you wish but I don't feel it's totally necessary. But you can at least have them on 1 tsp/gal ES for a few day's just to make sure.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #10 
Saphira101

Okay, sounds good. I think that I'll move them each to separate, smaller hospital tanks to do this.