Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Sad he took a turn for the worse! Check from the top of the tank - does his bloat remind you of a pinecone? (Scales sticking out)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #22 
LaceyNylons

His scales look smooth, but just not vibrant red like they used to be. They're just a very dull red / grey. I don't think he has dropsy.

Cheezle's swelling has gone down, but is still there. I have noticed tiny little blisters near his gills now though. He still appears to be happy and eating. I hope he pulls through this.
LaceyNylons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Looked it up. Something similar; person's cichlid was eating fine, acting fine, then bloated (no dropsy, still eating and active) another fish was affected in the same tank.
Someone's post to them:

"Hi Rusty! WOW, that's really gross, but it's the closest thing I've seen to lympho for a while. The lympho case my fish had (if it was lympho...) was mainly around the fins and fin bases, only in a small number did it affect the body or head, I suspect though that any body tissue is a target. My fish survived but it took many months before the lumps went as fast as they came, if the fish in the pic can't eat properly then it will die." (Poster me tioned this as the fish had it not just on fins, but also the mouth)

On a koi forum another one shows pics closer to what your boy has (I looked up "fish fins lumps" in google) reply was:

"I put the fish in a sick tank...I took a scrape of one of the spots, didnt see anything..Not sure if it might be just trauma, I tried anti-bacterial agents for a week...After that didnt work, I tried anti parasite medication that I happened to have, and that didnt really work...I ahve the koi at 75 F and 0.2 to 0.3% salt, still the spots are there, seem to be gettgin a little better perhaps, it has been about 3 weeks.

I think it might be viral. The koi is acting just fine, very active in fact. I have looked and it might be "lymphocystis" and a possible treatment might be acriflavine, but, according to one source it might work..."

Then it also mentions parasites. Someone mentioned flukes, another said his seller of his koi said he commonly saw it. I'm not posting the procedures as koi are huge and bettas are small :) so perhaps this narrows it down to a few possibilities. I've never dealt with flukes or other external parasites - OFL has mentioned it in her post however and how it can be removed.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #24 
LaceyNylons

Thanks so much to everyone for your knowledge and support.

Cheezle completed two rounds of Tri Sulfa (8 days of medication) and this appeared to stop the progression of his tail rot. All appeared to go well for some weeks until his tail degerated again.

Cheezle began to eat less and appeared to get startled very easily without provocation. His tail and quality of life declined to the point where he was days away from being tail-less.

After much deliberation, I decided to euthanase Cheezle using clove oil. I wanted him to have some dignity when his time came. The procedure was fast and he was asleep within a minute. It all seemed very peaceful.

I still have no idea what caused his problems or how to treat it. I know he had a good life and was loved. He is sorely missed :(
LaceyNylons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #25 
ReeseInPieces

So sorry to hear :( I wish I had more to say .
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote