Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #1 
xst3ph90x

Exclamation HELP! Emergency!

A few days ago a bought a brand new betta. He's a veiltail, but I think he's one of those giant bettas, as hes HUGE. Anyway, he was fine a few days ago, and he was fine last night. I was treating him with melafix, just because when I get a new fish I put a drop into my tank to cure any lurking bacteria. He was fine last night, but this morning I woke up and his back fin is completely SHREDDED.

I think he may have gotten stuck by the airstone because the airstone is in a huge tube with an open top. I think he may have swam down the tube and then the airstone destroyed his fin. I'm not sure. I added more melafix to the water, and I am planning on getting a new tank for him today. What should I do?! Can fin rot develp overnight? I JUST changed the water 2 days ago, so I know he's not due for a water change! I feel so bad for my new guy, and he was doing great until just now.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're probably right about him getting stuck in that tube. It happened to someone else's fish awhile back. I don't think its finrot. If he does ok with the melafix, I would continue using it and keep up with water changes. A little Stresscoat could help his fins heal.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #3 
Luchi

Before this weekend I would say no finrot can't happen so quickly. I was gone for one nite and when I came home my fish had SEVERE finrot. His pectoral fins were almost completely gone! His others were curled and deteriorating. Someone suggested a "salt bath" to help the finrot and healing.

However, it could also be what you suggested and he got caught by the airstone. Water changes and a little aquarium salt could start to help heal his fins if that's what it may be.

I hope he gets better soon!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #4 
xst3ph90x

Thank you! I plan on getting him a bigger tank with the airstone completely covered. Maybe I'll get a big one with an actual filter instead of an undergravel filter. I hope its not fin rot, but I'll continue to treat him with the melafix. I turned off the airstone, so he couldn't hurt himself again. He also liked to play by the top where the bubbles came out of the airstone, so I'm thinking he kept swimming into the current of the air bubbles and that was possible too. I hope its not fin rot! But thanks a lot!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you can use a piece of pantyhose to cover up that tube so he can't get in there.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #6 
dr2b

It sounds like you have the 360 tank? I had that tank and my betta decided to go down the center tube. Scared the heck out of me. I don't think fin rot can occur that quickly, I would say it is probably the air tube. I hope he gets better!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #7 
xst3ph90x

Yep, I have a 360 tank, and I hate it lol. I got it from my sister because she got a new tank. I'm definitely getting a mini bow today, because I have mini bows for the rest of my bettas and they all love it!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #8 
dr2b

My fish liked to go down under the gravel and swim around. Nothing like walking in the room two minutes after you left it and your fish disappeared. I returned the tank. I went and got a 5 gallon corner Eclipse. And honestly, he was like a brand new fish right away when I put him in that tank. From the second he hit that water he was extremely active, exploring, flaring, swimming back and forth and all over. So I think you'll see a big difference when you get him a new tank. He was just miserable in that 2 gallon 360 tank.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #9 
xst3ph90x

I just traded my friend the 2 gallon 360 tank. I got a 10 gallon with a heater and a filter. I don't think it was fin rot, because hours later his fins look the same.

He'll have plenty of space in the new 10 gallon which im going to set up tomorrow! I hope he's happier in his new tank!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better.