Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP! Emergency!

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  dr2b 
#1 ·
A few days ago a bought a brand new betta. He's a veiltail, but I think he's one of those giant bettas, as hes HUGE. Anyway, he was fine a few days ago, and he was fine last night. I was treating him with melafix, just because when I get a new fish I put a drop into my tank to cure any lurking bacteria. He was fine last night, but this morning I woke up and his back fin is completely SHREDDED.

I think he may have gotten stuck by the airstone because the airstone is in a huge tube with an open top. I think he may have swam down the tube and then the airstone destroyed his fin. I'm not sure. I added more melafix to the water, and I am planning on getting a new tank for him today. What should I do?! Can fin rot develp overnight? I JUST changed the water 2 days ago, so I know he's not due for a water change! I feel so bad for my new guy, and he was doing great until just now.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

#2 ·
You're probably right about him getting stuck in that tube. It happened to someone else's fish awhile back. I don't think its finrot. If he does ok with the melafix, I would continue using it and keep up with water changes. A little Stresscoat could help his fins heal.

#3 ·
Before this weekend I would say no finrot can't happen so quickly. I was gone for one nite and when I came home my fish had SEVERE finrot. His pectoral fins were almost completely gone! His others were curled and deteriorating. Someone suggested a "salt bath" to help the finrot and healing.

However, it could also be what you suggested and he got caught by the airstone. Water changes and a little aquarium salt could start to help heal his fins if that's what it may be.

I hope he gets better soon!

#4 ·
Thank you! I plan on getting him a bigger tank with the airstone completely covered. Maybe I'll get a big one with an actual filter instead of an undergravel filter. I hope its not fin rot, but I'll continue to treat him with the melafix. I turned off the airstone, so he couldn't hurt himself again. He also liked to play by the top where the bubbles came out of the airstone, so I'm thinking he kept swimming into the current of the air bubbles and that was possible too. I hope its not fin rot! But thanks a lot!

#6 ·
It sounds like you have the 360 tank? I had that tank and my betta decided to go down the center tube. Scared the heck out of me. I don't think fin rot can occur that quickly, I would say it is probably the air tube. I hope he gets better!

#7 ·
Yep, I have a 360 tank, and I hate it lol. I got it from my sister because she got a new tank. I'm definitely getting a mini bow today, because I have mini bows for the rest of my bettas and they all love it!

#8 ·
My fish liked to go down under the gravel and swim around. Nothing like walking in the room two minutes after you left it and your fish disappeared. I returned the tank. I went and got a 5 gallon corner Eclipse. And honestly, he was like a brand new fish right away when I put him in that tank. From the second he hit that water he was extremely active, exploring, flaring, swimming back and forth and all over. So I think you'll see a big difference when you get him a new tank. He was just miserable in that 2 gallon 360 tank.

#9 ·
I just traded my friend the 2 gallon 360 tank. I got a 10 gallon with a heater and a filter. I don't think it was fin rot, because hours later his fins look the same.

He'll have plenty of space in the new 10 gallon which im going to set up tomorrow! I hope he's happier in his new tank!

#11 ·
Just an update on Mizu for those of you who want to know. His fins still don't look great, but they're not getting worse, and I'm going to continue treating him with Melafix. However, hes now in a 10 gallon tank, and he seems very happy because hes blowing big bubble nests, and he seems to love the space! There's 3 bubble nests in the tank! I'm glad he's doing better!

#13 ·
Oh no!

OH NO! POOR MIZU! Ok, so Mizu was doing fine, his tail was getting better, and he was blowing HUGE bubble nests everywhere. Then all of a sudden yesterday, his fin rot started again. Which is weird because I've been treating him with Melafix. It's really weird because its only on his tail, and its not on his other fins. I have NO IDEA what to do! I'm getting him a new filter tomorrow, so maybe that will help keep the water cleaner, but I don't know what to do about my poor fishie! I feel so bad for the little guy! He seems to be fine though, because he's contiuning to blow bubble nests. What do you think I should do for him? Help! I'm running to petco first thing tomorrow morning, so any advice would help!!!

#14 ·
Do you have any plastic plants or anything sharp in his tank that could have torn his tail? I have the same problem with one of mine. No signs of finrot and he's otherwise healthy and active. I removed a plastic plant I had and hope that takes care of it. If the Melafix is helping, try it again.

#15 ·
Yes, there IS a plastic plant, but I did the pantyhose test, and all of the plants are fine. I'm positive its not the plant, because he was in the tank for a while without his fins getting worse.

#17 ·
Sounds like Synthisis betta. They told him to make sure he keeps him from flaring while his tail is growing back and getting strong again. That until it does, there was a risk of it doing that again. And it does look like fin rot, but his was just his tail exploding. (Not saying that is what yours did, but it could be the same circumstances as to why the tail got worse...it just hasn't gotten strong enough)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.