Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 
taralovesanimals

Please help

My betta had his snout in the air and was had his tail to the floor like he was vertical if that makes sense. I then did a 30% water change and he was okay and when I came back a minute later he was laying on his side at the bottom of the tank with his gills going pretty fast he is a about 5 years old by the way. Please don't tell me hes going to die. )':
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
taralovesanimals

What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank?78-79
Does your tank have a filter?Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one
How often do you feed your betta fish?every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Tetra AquaSafe

Water Parameters:
No test kit

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's pale
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?See first post
When did you start noticing the symptoms?Just now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Ick, finrot
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 years
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there again Tara! I'm sorry to hear your boy isn't doing well again!

Okay first things first, I'd like you to start doing water changes ONCE a week at around 50% for your normal water changes. Okay?

And you can feed him every day, he's most likely losing strength because he's not getting much food. So you can feed him 3-4 pellets a day, you can either do that all in one or split up the feeding to 2 in the morning and 2 at night. But it needs to be every day. You wouldn't feel very well if you ate every other day, right?

Are there any pictures you can get of him? Try doing another water change around your normal 30% and of course use your water conditioner. There's a chance that there is something in the water bugging him, so for the rest of this week do those small water changes DAILY and see if that helps. I'll need pictures to further help along and see if any medications are needed, so far though it seems like just the water changes are really going to help him.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 
taralovesanimals

Okay. I'll change another 30% right now and start changing 50% every week. I'll also start feeding him every day. Now he's hiding under his terra cotta pot (In half) so I can't get a picture....
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay that's fine, the clean warm water should really help him out! He may be old but I don't think he's done yet lol.

When you add the new water in, make sure to condition first and if you can, don't just pour it in but gradually add it in over half an hour or so. I know it's a longer amount of time, but you don't want to stress him out too much, you know? So he definitely just needs some special care
Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 
taralovesanimals

Okay. I'll do that and report what happens. Thank you so much!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! I hope he get's better, at least no gasping! We don't like gasping haha.

Happy to help out.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #8 
taralovesanimals

Mhm he isn't breathing as rapidly any more and he isn't extremely pale anymore (he was almost white before) it seems like he's getting better.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
taralovesanimals

Also would he be happier in a 6.5 gallon bookshelf tank. My parents friends are offering me a tank, they have a 10 gallon a 6.5 gallon bookshelf and a 30 gallon breeder

EDIT: I'm still trying to convinvce my mom to let me have to 30 gallon
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh I was going to say! I want the 30! lol

He may like the smaller tank, it's worth a shot! Gee, wish I could have the tanks lol

But also remember that you'll have to cycle the tank unless you use the filter from his 10 on his 6.6. All your Beneficial bacteria that's keeping your boy safe from most of everything would not be in the new tank so just keep that in mind unless you move everything over to that tank; gravel, plants, ornaments, filter and heater. That way it's nearly established and you can just put him in right away after you done filling it.

Betta's don't like big open spaces so that could be what's bothering him as well. They come from Rice Paddies which are just chock full of plants, mostly grassy plants so they don't often see big open spaces. So it's in their nature to be afraid of big open spaces so the more you fill it up with plants/silk plants, ornaments and stuff like that, they'll be much more comfortable, less stressed out and all that good stuff. So stuffing all his stuff from the 10 to the 6.6 might make him feel more cozy, you know?