Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

thoughts on fry

I have a smallish 7 week old fry that has my attention. The outermost caudal rays are longer than the rest. There are fewer primary rays-8 opposed to 10-12 in my other babies so a 180 spread is unlikely even though it is out of OHMPK stock. Is this a veiltail among my hm? I'll be watching this one to see what branching I get. I also see a faint white band on the outside edges of the fins.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It has eight rays, so I can tell you right now that it isn't a veiltail. I would let it grow out and see how it develops... It will be cool to watch for sure.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 
Myates

Deltas and Super Deltas come from HMs and OHMs.. never a 100% HM turnout when breeding an HMxHM / OHMxHM, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

I agree Myates. Most of my spawns actually do throw super high percentage HM because I tend to use OHMPK but there are the deltas sprinkled in there for sure. Even those always had shorter outside caudal rays. These are actually longer than the rest of the rays-sort of lyre shaped. I will separate this fry today and see if I can get a pic. He's so shrimpy I'm not sure my crappy phone camera will focus properly though.

@MattsBettas-it has 8 primary rays. I can't see any ray branching at all on the smaller fry. I can barely see it on the big fry.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 08-26-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME, sometimes ray branches at a later age, specially if fry grew quickly. But I'm concerned about the 8 primary rays. I have never seen mine add primary rays as they grow. Though they end up as deltas or SD, they all had 10-12 rays.

Lyre tail? You might have a "collector's" item there.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
Riverotter

Lyretail bettas sound like a cool breeding project. I've seen pictures of "sword" tailed ones. Those look like spade tails with the point of the spade very elongated.
So long as it's healthy - see what happens!
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote