Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Betta Fry With Tails in Air

Some of the fry are lying on the ground with their tails pointed straight up... I thought one was dead so I poked it with a stick and moved a little, but not very much. (kinda sluggishly?) Somehow I don't think this is normal? Could I have overfed? They are about a week old and up to this point they have been feeding on the micro-organisms from the java moss and marimo moss ball. I fed them some walter and micro worms earlier.
The ammonia is somewhere between 0 and .25ppm; however, it seems to look more 0 than .25ppm; it's hard to tell lol.

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 08-21-2013 at 02:12 PM.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

My first thought with those symptoms...nutrition deficit...what else have you been feeding and how much/often. Water temp, how much and how often on the water changes, tank size-what spawning method did you use and how is the tank setup what are you using to retain heat/humidity over the water.

If it is nutrition related---sometimes not much you can do.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

They are a week old in a 2 gallon tank, that they parents spawned in with the Thai method. I was going to move them into a 10 gallon tank when they were around 2 weeks old. They have just been eating infusoria and walter/bananana/microworms. I'm looking into getting brine shrimp eggs, but I can't seem to find any in the local stores. Temperatures at 82 degrees and I have plastic wrap over the top of the tank. I used a turkey baster to suck up some debris, and have been floating a cup in the water and adding in some water with a turkey baster. I haven't really started on heavy duty water changes yet since they are barely a week old. X]

Also, this seems very sudden. They were fine yesterday night and this morning.

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 08-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 
Deanna01

DoctorWhoLuver, you should get one of these! It is a fantastic deal. The amount of BBS eggs you get is worth more than what you pay just for the hatchery! I am really pleased with mine, and it doesn't even need an air pump to run.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c21...Dish-p183.html
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thanks for the suggestions:) That looks really nice, I'm just a bit worried that it would arrive too late, so that's why I was looking into the local stores x]
But I might just have to order one:)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #6 
Deanna01

Maybe you should feed boiled egg yolk mixed with tank water till you get BBS. :-/ Do you happen to have Amazon Prime? You could probably get overnight BBS for not very much extra, if so.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

I do have Prime, that sounds like a good idea. I thought about feeding the boiled egg yolk, but I was afraid that it would pollute the water and that the worms might have been better
Do you think it would be too early move them into a bigger tank?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #8 
Deanna01

Yeah, it will pollute the water....

Is this the same pair that you've bred quite a bit over the last month or so? If you're feeding the right foods, I wonder if the parents are getting enough conditioning between breeding to really produce quality eggs. I honestly don't know, as I don't have the experience, but it might be something to consider and ask about.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

With nutrition related issue in delicate young fry-Death can happen in seconds and nothing you can do. Prevention is the best method-Sadly in a 2gal tank-that small of volume would only have enough natural food colonized for maybe 20 or so fry for 1-2 days at most.

Mass death/die off is not uncommon due to poor nutrition-it happens fast.

You could try harvesting some natural microorganism, however, if the fry are too weak to eat it won't do much good-with that said you still might have a few fry viable.

If you have a brine shrimp net-use this and a small cup of dechlorinated water-go outside and look for standing water-scoop some water-invert the net into the container of water and keep hunting-you may or may not be able to see much more than off color water caused by microorganisms. Once collected-poor this water through the brine shrimp net-then invert the net into the fry tank. Use your judgement on what you collect-if you can see it with the naked eye it might be too big for the fry to eat. Anything too big toss in the adult Bettas tanks.

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

They were bred three times :( This is the third time. They were first bred back towards the end/beginning of June/July. This time, I conditioned them for about 2.5 to 3 weeks and they were fed frozen daphnia/brine shrimp and live mosquito larvae.
I should have known that food from the plants wouldn't last that long. I just read somewhere that the fry could last up to a week on infusoria and it didn't click in until today that I may not have had enough infusoria. I've collected all the fry that are not looking so well into a cup and just put in some walter worms. Hopefully, they will still have some energy left to eat :( The death toll has now reason to 4:(
Thank you for the help.