Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #1 
Snoggens2209

conditioning betta? fry color?

how am i supposed to condition my male and female betta the right way? rightnow i have my female in a 10g tank with 3 other females and my male by himself. what should i do? and which colors do you think id get out of breeding these two together?
Attached Images

Snoggens2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

What color is the female when she is colored up? The male is orange so if you want to keep that you need another non-red fish.

If your female is a blue or green fish you will probably get mustard gas type colors if you cross them-his orange will turn the red in a lot of the fry yellow or orange.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3 
Snoggens2209

She's like a black and blue with tiny red
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

OK. So you would end up with irid (blue, steel blue, turq.,). Some will carry red wash some will carry yellow wash and there will be a lot of area not colored(the black)-probably the belly, head and base of the fins, specks on the body. Is that what you are wanting? I think you could find a better mate for your orange fish.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #5 
Snoggens2209

This is one of my other females , what do you think about her with the orange one?
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 
Myates

What are your breeding goals? What do you expect from breeding VTs?

What breeding equipment do you have?

Breeding tank?
Grow out tanks?
Individual cups and a way to heat them all?
Live food?
Filters, heaters, live plants, IAL, etc?
Hours a day to spend to clean them all up as they grow?
A place who will take in the VT offspring for little to no money?

The yellow is from cambodians, the first female I would not breed, the second isn't so bad. With either one you are looking at reds, cambodians, maybe a yellow or orange (a couple at the most) and maybe some butterfly patters in the fins.

These will be fine as a learning tool to breed, but in the betta world where it can get a bit rough you will need to purchase something that can sell (if that is your goal).. even better quality VTs would make a difference.. pet store fish is fine, but you have to pick out higher quality ones. VTs can be harder to sell, you won't sell many on AB, maybe a few more on Ebay. Local sales to privately owned stores will often take VTs in for pennies on the dollar, or for store credit. If they are nice, you can sell them easier on places like here where people are looking more for pets and view VTs as nice pets.

As for conditioning, take the female you want and place her in her own small container/tank and feed her 2-3x a day - frozen blood worms, live foods - basically want high protein and high quality food. Stuff them both with the same food 2-3x a day for anywhere between 3-14 days.. I personally don't let them see any other fish during conditioning, sometimes allowing them to see each other 5-10 minutes a day helps other breeders.

It takes a lot to breed and to raise the fry successfully. Make sure you have everything set up before you attempt and understand what it takes to breed/raise fry :) good luck!

Last edited by Myates; 08-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta 10gallon, betta breading, breed type, conditioning bettas, fry color