Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1 
CritterNut

Can aquarium frogs eat fish? (Missing Betta)

Hey guys, one of the perfectly healthy girls in my sorority tank was GONE today! I pulled out all the plants and the shipwreck thing I have in there to try and find a body, but nothing was there. I looked behind the tank to see if maybe she got out of the small hole near the filter.. but there was nothing! I do have a large african dwarf frog in the tank? Could he have eaten her? I didn't think frogs could eat bettas! :(
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First off, are you absolutely sure the frog is a african dwarf and not a african clawed? Are it's feet webbed?

When fish die, other fish and snails eat them. It's gross, but that's how nature works. That may have happened.

Did you check absolutely everywhere around the tank?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 
CritterNut

It might be an African clawed, it does have claws. It is white and its feet are webbed.

Since I saw her just last night I feel like there should be some remains left, or some sort of evidence. She looked perfectly healthy yesterday, and the water is perfect!

I searched the whole tank, even combed through the rocks and checked in the filter, though there's no way she could have jumped in there. She's just gone!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
Fawnleaf

Can you maybe post a picture of your frog? It sounds to me like an African Clawed Frog. African Dwarf Frogs don't have claws, and most aren't white. Plus, African Dwarf frogs don't grow to be very big. If it is infact an African Clawed Frog, it is very possible he could have eaten your betta. Often if they see movement in front of them, they just lunge and grab what ever it is. It's sad, but a fact of life. :/ But be sure to check all around your tank in case she did jump out. I'm sorry you lost your fish.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5 
CritterNut

Oh no! I think the frog did do it then. :( I wish this wasn't a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Poor Lily! She was such a lovely fish! Ugh. I'm so furious with myself. I'm going to remove the frog. I think the two smaller albinos are claweds as well, and if that's the case I'll need to bring them all back to the pet store. I can't have them eating my fish. :(
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 
Fawnleaf

I'm sorry! It really bothers me when petstores sell ACF's as ADF's. Most people can't tell the difference, and would never think to second guess the store employees. But even ADF's have been known to latch onto a betta's fin and tear at it, when it is mistaken for food. ADF's don't kill bettas, but they can still damage them occasionally. But like I said, ACF's can definetly kill betta's. I'm really sorry though!! It sounds like you tried your best, and now you know for next time! :) Good luck!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #7 
CritterNut

I didn't even know african claweds existed! I just thought a frog would be a nice addition to my tropical tank, and when I had to treat that tank for ick I put them in with my bettas. I put a divider in and put the frogs all on one side of it. Tomorrow I'll bring them back to the pet store and explain that they are little murderous betta killers, and that I don't have a place to keep them without other fish. XD The pet store I got them from let them live in a big 50 gallon with all the plants they sell and a discus fish, so they'll have a big space until someone else takes them! I just feel bad that Lily died for my ignorance.