Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 
xxjessicajlsxx

Exclamation New Betta Owner--Concerned!

Hello,
I have a a betta before but not for a couple of years. My roommate and I got a new fish yesterday, and because I like fish I have spent a good bit of time staring into his bowl since then.

I first noticed something might be wrong when I feed him. I gave him one pellet (Aqueon Betta Food), so a tiny amount, and it took him a good bit to eat it. he seemed to be chewing for much longer than I would expect. I gave him a couple more pellets figuring with more food he would go for it, but he just continued munching on the first one in his mouth. I know bettas have an appetite, so I thought that was strange. He has done the same thing every time I have fed him, regardless of how much food I put into his bowl. He also won't swim up to the surface to grab it; he waits until it begins to sink and then goes after it. My fish have never not gone to eat it when I put food in the tank, so I am not sure if that is normal.

The second thing I thought was off was his swimming. When I go over to his bowl to look at him, he swims to the front to do the same to me. Today, however, after facing me for a good bit he started to do a few tight circles. He stayed basically level spun around about five time. I don't know if he's excited because I have heard about that not being a good sign, and again I have never seen it before.

He is an active swimmer, although he will stay in the same place sometimes he seems to prefer to swim all around the bowl.

Any help or advice you can give me would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!
xxjessicajlsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 
Twixies

Why would being excited not be a good sign? I would think swimming around is normal.

Different fish have different eating habits, I'm sure he just likes to finish chewing before eating another one (Seems like you got one with proper manners hahaha). Also, Aqueon betta food isn't a good brand, most would suggest getting Omega One or New Life Spectrum, since they have more meat and less fillers (higher quality)

How big is your tank? When you say bowl, it's very vague. And yea, get a heater if you haven't already
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #3 
xxjessicajlsxx

It is a one gallon. We are planning on getting a five gallon pretty soon.
xxjessicajlsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Your fish sounds very normal to me. It takes my male FOREVER to eat just one pellet, while my female could easily eat 10 in the time it takes him to eat one (I don't feed her near that many, but she could do it)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #5 
ReeseInPieces

Just watch how much your feeding him, don't want him to get bloated. Fish swim funny when they are bloated because it puts pressure on their swim bladder, bloating is more common with low quality food because the fillers are hard for the fish to digest. What does his tummy look like? Flat to his body? Rounded or slightly protruding?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #6 
Raging

It also might be that he's still settling in. The first few days in a new place can make fish act funny.
Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #7 
Twixies

A 5g tank sounds great, be sure to give him lots of hiding places, and get a heater!
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concerned, help me figure it out, new fish, sick beta