Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 80* F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 - 3 times per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin conditioner (for chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, planning to grab a kit today.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? More white coloring around the gills, eyes look different but I can't put a finger on it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic, swims very rarely, not very interested in food. Lays very still, fins clamped, gills have periods of non-movement.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a 75% water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not a clue; he's from PetSmart, only had him about a week.

He seemed fine yesterday; today he's got the symptoms above. I tried a 75% water change but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm going to get a water test kit later today, but I'm so confused as to what this could be. I can post pictures if that will help.
Torla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would try turning off the filter and lights for 24h and see if that helps-and maybe lower the water level by half-Sometimes the sudden change to a large filtered tank can stress a Betta that has spent most of its life in a small container. Some adapt without issue and others need time.

Another thought is osmotic shock...how did you acclimate to the chemistry when you first added him to the tank and how soon after you added him to the tank did the S/S start.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 
Torla

I got him last Thursday, so it's a delayed onset if that is actually it because S/S just started today. I floated him in the tank in his cup for about half an hour and then slowly took turns dumping the cup water into the sink and adding tank water until it was entirely tank water. Then I let him swim out of the cup.

I'll try the suggestion of lights/filter/water level.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #4 
Torla

He seems better today -- a bit more active, ate a pellet after fasting him yesterday. I turned the lights and filter back on and also tried lowering the tank temperature to 78*. I'm not sure what did it, but he's perkier than before. I was convinced he was dying yesterday, but now I think he'll be fine. :)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 
sunlight

oh good! Keep water 78* even 76* its the perfect temperature for bettas. Some bettas don't like warmer temperature. Make sure filter is not too strong for him.
I saw you feeding him 2-3 times a day , make sure you give him small meals though. Betta stomach is the size of their eye so don't give him too many pellets at once. And as for dried blood worms give him only 3 times a week for the snack. He will appreciate if you will buy him the frozen blood worms. If you will you can feed him that with a tweezers don't put it in the water because if he missed it , it will sink right to the bottom.
Do 50% weekly water changes with gravel vacuum , and rinse/swish the filter media weekly in the tank water. But don't rinse it in the tank:)
And Oldfishlady it so nice to see you back helping!!!!
And keep us update please.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote