Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #1 
TianTian

Question Dividing a 2.5 gal.? (pictures inside)

Could I get away with dividing Tian-Tian's 2.5 gal. tank in half? I already tried it a few times... Tian-Tian appeared a bit disgruntled about the decrease in space but Taco seemed fine with it.

Lemme explain...
I am heading back to college fairly soon again. Both Tian-Tian and Taco are coming with me. I really don't want to haul two whole tanks with me to the Almighty Land of College (although Taco's tank would come with me anyway as a quarantine tank). Tian-Tian was kept in a 1.5 gal tank when I first brought him home...

I have been meaning to divide a 5 gallon with my boys from the beginning, but I can't find a good, rectangle tank anywhere! (or at least anywhere where the price is reasonable, lol).

I found a 5.5 gallon tank, but my dorm is VERY STRICT about having exactly 5 gallons MAXIMUM in your dorm room (trust me, I've checked with them and they had a cow over it).

So! Tian-Tian is in the 2.5 gallon tank and Taco has his own 1.5 tank. They're both uncycled. I keep up with my water changes very well (and I have healthy, happy fish to prove it). I considered a filter, but I'm not experienced with the demands of a cycled tank.

Here's my tanks as they are now (Tian-Tian is on the right).

Help? Suggestions? Donations of a 5 gal., rectangular tank?

Thanks, y'all!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you must go ahead.
I would like to say that if you haven't checked, you can get a a 5 gallon kit at Walmart for about $30. Mine came with everything I needed in it (except the divider so you'd have to pick one of those up). Another idea is checking craigslist, there always seems to be reasonably priced tanks on there.
I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #3 
TianTian

I totally went to both Petsmart AND Walmart tonight and I had no luck with either. :(
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #4 
Scienceluvr8

I saw a pretty good 5 gallon tank at Wal Mart, and its a tank kit so it basically comes with all the essentials, you would just have to buy the heater, and I guess new decorations if you wanted. I would say its pretty good for being about 35 dollars.

As for dividing the 2.5, you probably could do it, they would get a little over a gallon each of water, so it would seem to be ok. I would rather you divide a 5 gallon, at the least, though...

Wow, that really is strict, they won't let you go over .5 gallons???
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #5 
TianTian

Yeah, my dorm is really crazy about their restrictions on basically EVERYTHING. Even if you don't have surge protectors on your extra outlets, they'll fine you for it (I already got that under my belt, haha).

I'm not gonna divide their tanks anytime right away, but in a month's time I'm gonna need better housing for my boys. :)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #6 
Scienceluvr8

Haha, that's what I recommended as well, at first, I also couldn't find it, Angelicscars suggested it to me, and finally I found it another local Wal Mart. It's a pretty good deal.
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #7 
TianTian

Mhmmm. I saw a 3 gallon tank set for $25, but I didn't like the shape of the tank at all (and dividing would've been very difficult, lol).
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

I wouldnt do it to your guys!! It will make the uncomfortable
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #9 
TianTian

That's what I'm afraid of! Or at least Tian-Tian wouldn't like it. As I said, I tried it for just a few minutes before and Taco was totally chill with it. XD
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

haha! That Tian-Tian is a brat!! lol...I would just try to get a 5 gallon if you are wanting to divide it...You can get one for 7 bucks at walmart....its just a glass tank, nothing with it
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote