Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #1 
taquitos

Taquitos' Tank Journal

My tank has finally cycled so I have decided to create a new journal to keep track of its progress.

Tanks:
1. 10 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
Resident: Jackson Pollock, my CT betta.
Plants:
- Java Moss
- Java Fern
- Round Pellia
- Anubias Nana
- Banana Plant
- Vallisneria Americana
- Willow hygrophilia
- Two plants not ID-ed honestly can't remember lol

2. 1.5 Gallon Invert Vase
Resident: Hitch, the Thai Micro Crab
Plants:
- Java Fern
- Java Moss

taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

Jackson sure is something... Wow. Beautiful pictures.

I like your vase idea. It looks very clean and sleek. I really want to do a NPT cookie jar myself.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #3 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Jackson sure is something... Wow. Beautiful pictures.

I like your vase idea. It looks very clean and sleek. I really want to do a NPT cookie jar myself.
Thanks!

I bought it to make a terrarium, but I don't have much of a green thumb There was no point just keeping it empty, so I figured I would move Hitch there since I never saw him when he was in the 10 gal. with my betta.

Looking into adding a sponge filter in there and maybe a small 15 watt heater :) Hopefully adding some cherry shrimp or maybe a snail in there with him in the future!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #4 
taquitos

Well Jackson has decided his blue parts shall no longer be periwinkle blue! Instead he would like them to be turquoise lol.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #5 
taquitos

THE SHRIMP ARE HERE :D

Picked up some Fire Red Shrimp at the LFS. Took a looong time acclimating them and now they're doing awesome in my 1.5 gallon. Was a little worried about the crab and the shrimp getting along (everything I read online said they'd be fine but idk lol just worried for no reason), but they are all peacefully grazing so it looks like things will be fine :)

Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #6 
DaytonBetta

That is just beautiful! I love it!

Could you tell me what type of sponge filter, heater and light you are using? Does it have a lid?
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #7 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonBetta View Post
That is just beautiful! I love it!

Could you tell me what type of sponge filter, heater and light you are using? Does it have a lid?
Thank you :D

The filter is a Penn Plax Small World -- I'm not going to get replacement cartridges, just take the cartridge apart and stuff with sponge. I have no heater atm but the temp is steady at 80F. Just ordered a 25W heater though. The light is a regular CFL (waiting for more $$$ to order an LED clip-on.

Yes, it does have a lid :) I keep the lid on because I have cats.

Some more photos from yesterday. They're really getting fired up! One molted this morning. I think all of them are female... which means I have to find a way to get some males! They're all starting to saddle so :)

These guys do such a good job cleaning up all the icky stuff on the tank decor + plants! I wish I could put them in my 10 gal. with my betta but I doubt Jackson would leave them alone This little jar looks better than my heavily planted 10 gal because of how clean the shrimpies are keeping it!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #8 
taquitos

Cherry vase is still going strong! I got some juvie males from a guy who was selling some of his. I believe they are too young to breed atm but I am hoping theyw ill breed soon! Yesterday the shrimp had a molting party. I counted at least 3 exoskeletons. Pretty exciting stuff :D

Little racing stripe girl :)

One of my cats really enjoys this vase. After his breakfast, he goes to watch the shrimp every morning. I caught him licking the vase yesterday LOL I'm glad I have a lid for it :P

Aaand Jackson is doing great, as usual :)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #9 
autojoy

Oh, the shrimps are so cute! And Jackson is lovely -- looks like he has a lotta fun in that tank! :D
autojoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #10 
cmwong27

I love the look of your betta tank. How long did you cycle it for? What substrate are you using? ...and any additives?

My tank's been set up for a little less than a month now.
cmwong27 is offline   Reply With Quote