Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #1 
BettaStarter24

Betta Fish Anonymous....

I figured since I love showing off my boys I'd start a journal. They're not going to be too happy since it means more photo shoots but oh well.

I have 5 betta fish, two veil tails, a Super Delta tail, a half-moon and a rose tail (half-moon spread).

Jasper, my blue Veiltail is the one I've had the longest out of this group of boys. I got him after my late red VT Ignus passed away due to swim bladder problems. Jasper wasn't my first choice, as there was a marbled boy I was looking at but we had limited time and I couldn't go look at the marbled boy again. Even though he's not my first pick out of the guys they had at the petco I love him to bits. I've had him since March 22, 2014 and he will be (estimating) one year in January. From nose to base of tail he is about an inch and a half long, though his caudal fin is much longer now. He's recovered from a few bouts of fin rot and is super grumpy, he's probably my most grumpy fish. He doesn't like caves, he prefers his big purple plant.

Name:  jasper.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 6.10.30 PM.png
Views: 84
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 4.03.50 PM.png
Views: 83
Size:  182.9 KB

Going in order of who I got, Castiel comes next. Got him the day after my birthday 7-5-14.He's my red/white bicolor dragon scale Super Delta. He was 100% impulse buy. Went to petco for cat litter and came back with a fish. Cas was a biter in the store but has not bit since that I've been able to tell although his tail has remained rather ragged as its grown back. Cas has a crooked spine (from what I can tell) and he also has a cyst/tumor on his left side behind his gills which is growing. It doesn't affect his behavior at all.

Name:  Flare.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 2.30.52 PM.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  17.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 3.10.24 PM.png
Views: 82
Size:  213.5 KB

I got Oliver two weeks after I got Cas on 7-20-14. He's my red/blue bicolor Rose tail Halfmoon. Another impulse buy, got him before the tank, kept him in a tupperware for a few days then divided Jasper's 2.5 gallon. Needless to say that didn't go well, Jasper shredded his tail causing bout one of fin rot, Oliver bit too but didn't get rot. Got Oliver his own 2.5 gallon and he's much happier.

Name:  Blue lipstick.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  Full Flare.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  Oliver.jpg
Size:  38.8 KB

My crazy fish buying stopped for a bit here until this past Saturday (10-25-14) when a friend who just recently got into bettas went to petco for some more stuff for her boy and found Dean, didn't end up getting him till Sunday 10-26-14 though. Still not 100% sure what color he is but he's my half-moon. She knew I was looking for a half-moon similar to his coloring. (my dream betta is an opaque white half-moon) and he looks cellophane which is another one of the ones I have up there. He does have a band of white on his caudal and his fins aren't see through but you can see blood vessels and organs. He's one of my mystery fish. He hasn't eaten yet but I'm guessing he's just still settling in from the trip home.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 5.04.35 PM.png
Size:  248.5 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 5.05.12 PM.png
Size:  174.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 5.05.04 PM.png
Size:  184.2 KB

Last but certainly not least is my newest boy (well one of them...) Sammy. He's my mystery color VT. I brought him home on 10-28-14. He came from the psychology wing of my school where he was involved in an experiment where (from what I've been able to gather) he was conditioned to be abnormally aggressive towards other fish/reflections. Kept in a smaller container next to other boys with cardboard dividing them not heated or filtered. When I got him home he was so clamped and quite bloated. It's only been two days and he's come out of his shell much more. Currently housed in a 5.7 liter tupperware until I can get something better he's doing well. Has a nest built, flaring, colors have come out a little more, active. I'm excited to see how he grows.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.07.27 AM.png
Size:  220.1 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 3.13.40 PM.png
Size:  113.4 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 3.20.37 PM.jpg
Size:  8.4 KB

I will post more on the boys as they get bigger or progress and once the new boys have their tanks all up and running I'll post pictures then!.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #2 
kjg1029

your bettas are soo pretty! i like Oliver's colors!!!
kjg1029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #3 
Schmoo

Dean, Sam, and Castiel... :P
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:28 AM   #4 
DaytonBetta

We have a Sammy betta, too! Your fish are all beautiful.

That is interesting about the psychology experiment. I look forward to hearing about how he does now that he's a pet.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #5 
BettaStarter24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoo View Post
Dean, Sam, and Castiel... :P
lol yep Dean and Sam are named that for a reason lol.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #6 
BettaStarter24

Dean's Eating and has a bubble nest!

Update 10-31-14

Sammy's now officially unclamped and I've decided when I get a bigger tank this weekend that Sammy's going in it as he deserves a bigger tank. Dean will upgrade as soon as I get the money I have my eye on the tetra 3 gallon cube off of amazon, as Dean is seeming pretty content in the kritter keeper for now. If I can convince my mom to go for it I might just order it today so it will be here by tuesday. I'm still thinking about it. I also like the Kollercraft Aquarius Aquaview 360 3 gallon that's on amazon too.

So getting to the dorm from morning classes to feed the boys and eat my own lunch I offered Dean a pellet thinking he wouldn't take it. He ate it right up followed by three more. My baby is eating now! He's been refusing food for almost a week now. I sat down at my desk to watch them while I ate and noticed Dean also has a bubble nest! baby's first nest I'm having a proud betta mommy moment. (even though I know nests don't necessarily mean happy I'm still proud.)
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #7 
LadyNightraven

Your fish are all gorgeous, but I especially love Oliver and Sammy's coloration!

Sammy is a lucky little guy to get to experience life as a loved pet. I think he'll be happy with you.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #8 
BettaStarter24

Update 11-03-14

Just got back to the dorm after a weekend home away from the boys. First weekend away from Dean and Sammy lol it was quite nerve wracking to not be able to check on little Sammy every now and then. I did return bearing a huge haul of decor for their new tanks and of course spent wayyyyyy too much money on stuff. Got plants for both tanks, a pot for Sammy's new tank as the terra cotta pot I'm using now is too small for the 3 gallon he's getting. Some gravel for Sammy's tank and two thermometers as Im short two. Can not wait till the tanks come in tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I get them all set up so you guys can see the boys new cribs.

The boys are all doing good, Cas's cyst/tumor seems to have gotten a little bigger which is worrisome but there's nothing I can really do for him.

I continue to be amazed at how small Sammy looks compared to Jasper. Jasper's Ventral fins themselves are about as long as Sammy's caudal fin and Sammy's entire self is about as long as Jasper's caudal fin. Hopefully Sammy catches up to Jasper lol.

I also continue to be partially upset about Petco's apparent lack of care for fish as I found multiple boys that have been clearly overfed and even a dead and decaying crown tail surrounded by like 10-15 soggy pellets. I picked one of the boys up for a friend so he's in a nice new 2.5 gallon tank and is enjoying checking out his kingdom. Making me even more excited to watch Sammy and Dean checking out their brand new 3 gallon tanks.

Pictures will come tomorrow of the boys, mostly Sammy and Dean in their new homes.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #9 
BettaStarter24

So the new tanks came in today. One was cracked and didn't hold water so I sent in for a replacement and sent in the cracked one. So Sammy's 3 gallon Tetra cube is now finally set up and Dean's new tank is on the way, hopefully in one piece and not cracked and it should be here Thursday so hopefully he can have his new tank then. Sammy's busy exploring his new tank and nipping at the heater silly boy. Forgive the bubbles, new tank still settling out.

When Dean's tank is set up I'll post more pictures.

The other boys are doing great, Oliver's full of himself as always and jasper's just being Jasper, we're having a bit of an algae bloom on the leaves of Jasper's plants so that's fun.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #10 
Schmoo

Love that tank! c:
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote