Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

45 Gallon Journal

So I know most won't think of this as a "big" tank but a 45 gallon is quite large lol, my largest at the moment is a 33 gallon. So this is going to track the progress of this tank as I get it set up and running.

So the tank is 24x12x36

Tank lights will be upgraded to LED's but right now there are some regular CFL on it.

Filter at the moment is some large Penguin bio-wheel but I'll be putting my AquaClear70 on it once I get a new motor for it, worth it.

Substrate is FloraMax black mixed with PetCo black sand eventually, the FloraMax is in there right now.

This is technically "mom's" tank so she picked out the stock mostly
Stocking will be:
1 Betta (Bowie)
30-35 Ember Tetras (18 will be from my 29 gallon)
8 Gelius Barbs (also from my 29)
1 BN Pleco (Calico from my 29 gal)
1 pair of German Blue Rams
1 pair of Electric Blue Rams

The tree was there originally but it was literally dying so we took it down literally right after our Christmas party lol. So mom said I could so I put the tank up! Here it is when I started around 4ish pm

And when I filled it (with a 3 gallon bucket lol) and put the floraMax in

It's clear now but I'll take more pictures tomorrow when I put a few plants in it and get a few more things for it as well ^_^
Most likely it will cycled with Tetra SafeStart and seeding from my other filters.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #2 
Schmoo

How exciting! :D
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I'm pretty well excited too! Though mom says to me yesterday "I don't know how permanent this will be..." and I just looked at her....seriously? Need to keep it at least a FEW years! lol she's always changing her mind about things! At least I give fish a little time before I decide I don't want them anymore hahah!!

Tank is pretty well cleared up this morning, Jungle's Clear Water was to help with that. A note on that stuff; it doesn't work if you just used water conditioner of any kind, you need to use it between water changes or when you don't use water conditioner so I put the conditioner in this morning to give the Clear Water time to do it's work. A lot of people don't realize that even though it says so on the packaging as well and I'd done both and it's definitely true it doesn't work well with water conditioner.

Most of my plants at the moment will be taken from my 29 gallon to get this thing started. I feel sort of rushed at the moment since mom doesn't like looking at an empty tank so I just have to fill it up as quick as I can which means my planned aqua-scaping won't really work at the moment :-/

Also, mom wants a backdrop.....I literally hate those things but she wants one >.< she'll have to buy it because for this size tank, it won't be super cheap, it's not wicked expensive but I'm not buying it.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

This one was from last night right after it mostly cleared up

And this is from today and unfortunately my camera viewfinder was off focus so the picture didn't come out right....it happens sometimes but you get the idea, not much happening at the moment. Added a water sprite and some Myrio to help get a little bacteria going. I added my male Pearl Gourami; Romeo to help as well. I'll get some seeded sponges in soon too

Romeo was very confused by all the space and lack of fish in the tank lol

He's a pretty little thing, he's still young, I got him when he was about 4-5 months old and that was about.....five months ago? So he's almost a year.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #5 
Schmoo

The tank looks even bigger with water and light in it. It stinks that you're kind of being rushed. :/ I think my mom would be the same, were I to still live with her.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks! Yeah, I like the look of the tank now that it's up. I wasn't sure I'd like such a tall tank but it works here in the living room. Romeo looks like a teeny little fish in it haha, he's about 2.5 inches in body and another inch added in fin haha.

I may not be as rushed as I feel, I asked mom if she wanted to look at fish tomorrow, it depends on what she's doing but maybe. So it gives me more time. I told her we can't buy anything just yet but we can look to see if there is anything else she might like instead or whatever.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #7 
Schmoo

Never hurts to shop around. :3 You guys can also price stuff out (more for her benefit than yours, I imagine lol) and ballpark the total expenses.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh this is like the 10th aquarium I've set up so I'm good on what are the good things to buy and where to get the cheapest things too. But thanks ^_^

I also found out that apparently Boesemani Rainbowfish can live in soft water!! So if my mom likes them then maybe I'll do those instead of the Embers!!

Oh that's something I forgot, my usual tank parameters:
pH: 5.0-5.5
dKH: 2
dGH: 1

and I never have nitrates in my densely planted tanks so Rams shouldn't be an issue at all with their sensitivity.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So the tank is cleaning up nicely, added a few more plants from my 29 gallon and bought some Tetra SafeStart to put in there, which I did. I also scooped out a few of my Ember Tetras to put in there as well since I figure Romeo isn't enough to fully cycle the tank properly since it's so big and the bioload will eventually be rather large.

I added PetCo black sand as well on top of the Black FloraMax, it will all eventually be mixed up.

I found out that my mom's boyfriend doesn't like small fish, he likes the big fish that will eat other fish Mom likes the Embers but she apparently isn't in love with them. I originally nixed the idea of the Boesemani's for their temperature requirements were a little lower than the Ram's but I might be able to finagle it and keep the tank around 79-80 to compromise between the two since I don't care if the Rams want to breed or not. And the fact that I found Boesemani's at my LFS that look amazing for 3.99 each! Normally they're like 10 dollars >.<

But for now, the Embers were acclimating and not very happy:

And the tank as of today:
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Soooo I regret putting the Embers in there....John and mom have decided on a school of 6 Boesemani Rainbowfish and a school of something else like the Longfin Red Minor Tetra, I'm not so fond of it but it's what she wants. I just hope they won't be too nippy and hurt the Rams or Bowie when he goes in :-/ They should be fine if I get enough of them, I'm thinking like 12-15 of them.

But now I regret putting the Embers in because I'm going to have a hell of a time trying to get them out :-/