Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #1 
Veerie

Round 2 with a Fluval Edge

Recently, I have been getting the itch to dig my Fluval Edge out of storage. I had the day off from work because of weather so I began the process. After about 20 minutes I finally got it out. I can't say that it's not wrse for wear. My nearly brand-new Edge has a big crack in the plastic (non-structural) and is somehow missing the lightbulbs. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet but as andakin had said it is just going to waste in storage. SO I now begin the process. Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

What I need to decide:
1. Planted Tank?
2. Substrate?
3. Décor/Theme?
4. Stocking? <---no betta, I just wouldn't trust that they could find the air hole

Yup, so basically everything :) I'll try and get pics of it up ronight in case you haven't seen an Edge!
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #2 
Aqua Aurora

Possibble fish/invert options

What is you pH, GH, and KH? API has liquid test kits to check all these.
Note: do not mix any of the species I'm listing below. They do better as species only tank (as the name implies, only one species of fish (or invert) in the tank.. exception being cherry shrimp.. you can keep multiple dwarf shrimps but some will breed with eachother which is shunned on).

Ghost shrimp

Cherry shrimp

Depending on where they are you can try a shrimp! Cherry shrimp are the cheapest colorful ones, but you can get ghost shrimp for under $0.50 each, but are probably the most durable for first time shrimpers. But there is a huge world of dwarf freshwater shrimp, some have very specific water parameter demands, but if you're water is naturally at their needs then they are easy to keep (plenty of people use RODI water then re-mineralize for the shrimp's needs.. but that gets expensive and seems a bit much work.. imo anyways.
If you do try shrimp a planted tank is strongly recommended, they are very sensitive (won't tolerate ANY ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates need to stay low). They eat micro organisms in the tank but need food supplements (shrimp food or very tiny portions of blanches veggies).. mosses are a great plant for shrimp tanks as they tend to catch/grow these micro organisms, also give a good place for the shrimp to hide if they feel insecure. They can be kept in fairly large groups, but its cheaper to start out with a small number and give them good water quality so they breed to increase population.

Dwarf/pea Puffer

Dwarf aka pea puffer (awesome little fish, husband has one but I take care of the tank).. could wrote a huge post on these guys, very territorial micro predator, one would love an edge all to themselves. Again MUST be cycled tank, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrates must stay low. Densely planted is strongly recommended. They prefer live food but some owners can train them onto frozen (the one here only eats live). They eat ANY of the 'pest' snails (pond/bladder, ramshorn, Malaysian trumpet snails (trap door style snails are not safe from them)) and will peck apart any large breed snails (don't put your fav nerite, mystery, or apple snail with this fish). I keep a live black worm culture (aquatic worm) for the one here and harvest snails from my other planted tanks for him. I tried giving it cherry shrimp as a live food after a fail attempt keeping cherry shrimp (1/5 survived).. puffer did not eat them ad not the shrimp are breeding like mad... figures (most of the time they will pick shrimp apart and eat them.. the one my husband has is an idiot though haha). Very inquisitive tiny adorable fish, they are smart and will learn you're the food giver and start begging for food. They're fun to watch hunt snails and other small live foods in the tank. Shier big eyes can move independently of eachotehr like a chameleon.

Scarlet Badis

If you're not interested in shrimp, depending on you pH and hardness you can try Scarlet badis (dario dario), this is a colorful micro predator but its also very sensitive (no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate needs to stay low), its also an extremely picky eater, usually only eating live foods, but some owners train them onto frozen foods. Like bettas the males are more colorful and often the ones that are sol (females are hard to find but in larger tanks you can keep a harem.. like bettas its not a good idea keeping multiple males in a tank (not for your size anyways.. 20g you could.). This fish needs a densely planted tank to feel secure.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #3 
Veerie

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
What is you pH, GH, and KH? API has liquid test kits to check all these.
Note: do not mix any of the species I'm listing below. They do better as species only tank (as the name implies, only one species of fish (or invert) in the tank.. exception being cherry shrimp.. you can keep multiple dwarf shrimps but some will breed with eachother which is shunned on).

Ghost shrimp

Cherry shrimp

Depending on where they are you can try a shrimp! Cherry shrimp are the cheapest colorful ones, but you can get ghost shrimp for under $0.50 each, but are probably the most durable for first time shrimpers. But there is a huge world of dwarf freshwater shrimp, some have very specific water parameter demands, but if you're water is naturally at their needs then they are easy to keep (plenty of people use RODI water then re-mineralize for the shrimp's needs.. but that gets expensive and seems a bit much work.. imo anyways.
If you do try shrimp a planted tank is strongly recommended, they are very sensitive (won't tolerate ANY ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates need to stay low). They eat micro organisms in the tank but need food supplements (shrimp food or very tiny portions of blanches veggies).. mosses are a great plant for shrimp tanks as they tend to catch/grow these micro organisms, also give a good place for the shrimp to hide if they feel insecure. They can be kept in fairly large groups, but its cheaper to start out with a small number and give them good water quality so they breed to increase population.

Dwarf/pea Puffer

Dwarf aka pea puffer (awesome little fish, husband has one but I take care of the tank).. could wrote a huge post on these guys, very territorial micro predator, one would love an edge all to themselves. Again MUST be cycled tank, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrates must stay low. Densely planted is strongly recommended. They prefer live food but some owners can train them onto frozen (the one here only eats live). They eat ANY of the 'pest' snails (pond/bladder, ramshorn, Malaysian trumpet snails (trap door style snails are not safe from them)) and will peck apart any large breed snails (don't put your fav nerite, mystery, or apple snail with this fish). I keep a live black worm culture (aquatic worm) for the one here and harvest snails from my other planted tanks for him. I tried giving it cherry shrimp as a live food after a fail attempt keeping cherry shrimp (1/5 survived).. puffer did not eat them ad not the shrimp are breeding like mad... figures (most of the time they will pick shrimp apart and eat them.. the one my husband has is an idiot though haha). Very inquisitive tiny adorable fish, they are smart and will learn you're the food giver and start begging for food. They're fun to watch hunt snails and other small live foods in the tank. Shier big eyes can move independently of eachotehr like a chameleon.

Scarlet Badis

If you're not interested in shrimp, depending on you pH and hardness you can try Scarlet badis (dario dario), this is a colorful micro predator but its also very sensitive (no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate needs to stay low), its also an extremely picky eater, usually only eating live foods, but some owners train them onto frozen foods. Like bettas the males are more colorful and often the ones that are sol (females are hard to find but in larger tanks you can keep a harem.. like bettas its not a good idea keeping multiple males in a tank (not for your size anyways.. 20g you could.). This fish needs a densely planted tank to feel secure.
Thanks! I will be adding RCS to my shrimp tank (Fluval Ebi) once I make the necessary repairs to the tank. I have some ghost shrimp in with my guppies so I'm thinking I wanna try something different with this. I LOVE the idea of a dwarf puffer but I am limited on space and wuld have nowhere to culture live foods+that kind of freaks me out LOL Scarlet Badis are gorgeous!!! I'm going to do a bit of research on these guys :)

Just for anyone else, I have EXTREMELY HARD well water lol my pH is like 8.0-ish and I am constantly scrubbing calcium or lime r whatever off my tanks. With only one fish I don't think I'd have an issue with ammonia, this tank cycled super fast last time I ran it because I plant it so densely. Also, I do have an API master test kit :)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #4 
Veerie

What is GH and KH?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #5 
Veerie

Pictures

Here's some pictures of the Edge set u and the whopping whole I put in it :(
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #6 
Veerie

Does anyone have experience with desert gobies?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #7 
andakin

I'm excited to see your Edge in action! You might be limited to only housing micro-fish, shrimps, or a betta. My personal opinion would be to use it as a planted betta or shrimp tank and wait to get a larger tank to do a proper community. Substrate and lighting can be expensive if you want the 'good' stuff for a planted tank.

In addition to what has been suggested, other popular neat small fish are Peacock Gudgeons, Galaxy Rasboras, Daisy's Ricefish, and other small Killifish and Rainbowfish. The availability on these might suck though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veerie View Post
4. Stocking? <---no betta, I just wouldn't trust that they could find the air hole
I have never used a Edge and have no idea how it works. What would prevent a betta from breathing? Also, to solve whatever the issue might be, could you lower the water level slightly?
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veerie View Post
Thanks! I will be adding RCS to my shrimp tank (Fluval Ebi) once I make the necessary repairs to the tank. I have some ghost shrimp in with my guppies so I'm thinking I wanna try something different with this. I LOVE the idea of a dwarf puffer but I am limited on space and wuld have nowhere to culture live foods+that kind of freaks me out LOL Scarlet Badis are gorgeous!!! I'm going to do a bit of research on these guys :)

Just for anyone else, I have EXTREMELY HARD well water lol my pH is like 8.0-ish and I am constantly scrubbing calcium or lime r whatever off my tanks. With only one fish I don't think I'd have an issue with ammonia, this tank cycled super fast last time I ran it because I plant it so densely. Also, I do have an API master test kit :)
Ah I did not know you already had shrimp. I feel your pain with the calcium deposits. I make it a point to wipe down the water line at water changes to remove it. I can't recall the pH and hardness needs of the scarlid badis off the top of my head but I think they need a low pH range.
As for live cultures, there are so many varieties, some take very little space and effort, like micro worms or vinegar eels (they are so tiny they shouldn't gross you out.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #9 
Veerie

Community

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that eventually is going to become my community tank. I've never heard of peacock gugeons (cute name), I'll do some research! I am also considering galaxy rasboras but if I go that route I deinitely want a very tight schooling fish.

The way an Edge is designed is that it is basically a glass cube. There is glass sealed together on 6 sides except for a 5x7' or so hole for ventilation and filtration. I could lower the water level but I would lose the 360 effect which I dont want to do.

I am also considering adding a nerite snail if I can find one. Do you think a tank this size would provide enough food?

Also, I have decided on a planted tank, I took the plunge and bought better bulbs so now I need to decide:

1. Low-ish maintenance plants that are semi-easy to find
2. Substrate

On a side note... Does anyone know where to buy duckweed?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #10 
andakin

Does the fixed top make maintenance, scaping, and netting difficult? Duckweed might not be a good idea because it'll be submerged.

If you can put a piece of small driftwood in that tank, the nerite snail should be able to slowly eat at it without you ever needing to feed it. Some people will tell you otherwise.

You'll only need a single bag of substrate for a tank that size. It might be worthwhile to buy the better stuff. Eco-complete Fine is awesome. The granular size is in between that of sand and gravel.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote