Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #151 
Rosencrantz32

I'm so sorry to hear about Stinson :( Swim in peace little guy!

I've bleached my Hydor Theo heaters before. I let them soak in a really diluted bleach mixture for a minute or two (maybe) and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Then I soaked it in some water with a very large dose of Prime (like a good splash in a gallon or so), and rinsed it really well again. Then I let it sit in the sunlight for at least a day, because sunlight will break down the remainder of the bleach (basically. It's probably a lot more technical than that, but that's about all I can ever remember lol).
So far I have not had any problems with the heaters I've cleaned this way. I hope it works out for you!!
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #152 
TiffanyP

Rose I know that you replied, I got the notification for it but it's just NOT showing up on my end. I even tried to open it separately and I've tried everything to see it lol So I can't respond directly to your post, but once I can finally read it I'll respond more specifically :) This is my last effort to try and see it - by trying to boost it with another post.

UPDATE: Aha! It worked! I'll definitely do the bleach bath - I don't have Prime and it's frigid outside and everything's covered in snow lol So the sunbath will have to wait a while. I just discovered there's a tropical fish store like 3 minutes from my house, so I'm going to go down and check that out today... and hope I don't come home with a new betta haha I really just don't need another one :/

Last edited by TiffanyP; 02-02-2014 at 11:45 AM.
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #153 
Rosencrantz32

I think any water conditioner will work. Most of the things I read just said to use Prime and since I have it that's what I use. But a post soak in Prime would probably work too....

And I forgot to congratulate you on Nemo! He's so flippin' cute!! ^.^
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #154 
TiffanyP

Thank you :D I'm pretty fond of him :)

Potentially sad news though... Things are kind of hitting a peak here at my job, a very long story - but in short, it's becoming a toxic environment for me; meaning while I'm not directly affected by the goings on with my boss and his son, I'm still being affected by them nonetheless. This job just isn't a very pleasant place to be anymore. So I've decided to stick it out as long as I can, get some money saved up, and then start looking for jobs and a new place to stay starting in April or potentially May. Get me through the winter anyway. But in doing that, I'll likely have to downsize my fish :( I have a stand that holds two 5 gallon tanks nicely, and that will be coming with me so I'll have space for three fish. Yoshi is a given, I can't get rid of such a gem. The split 5 gallon gives me spaces for two more. Alaric for certain is staying as he's my first baby and I refuse to let him go until he passes away. And then comes the hard part... the third fish. Gilligan? Nemo? Lady Icarus? I'm not too worried about Pascal as I think that my sister-in-law and my nieces would love to care for him. I'm just absolutely torn. Since the 2 gallon tank Lady Icarus is in is so small, I'd like to think I could keep her as well as that tank won't take up much space. But then leaves the hard question... Nemo or Gilligan? Gah I overthink things too much lol It's not even 2 hours into my decision to start looking for alternate work and I'm already freaking out about my fish lol Darryl's the only one I don't have a problem getting rid of. If I can find him a good home with someone who promises to change his water once a week and feed him regularly he'll be fine. He doesn't like much interaction. *sigh* so I guess what it comes down to is that eventually I'll have to choose between Gilligan and Nemo... and it will break my heart to do that :(

Sorry for the novel :) Just needed to get some of that out for the time being. Hope you all are staying warm and safe :)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #155 
TiffanyP

Well folks - things are changing and pretty quickly too! I made the decision to look for alternate work on the 4th. By the 7th I had come to terms with it and it was almost a desperate need to "get out!". I took the weekend off and spent it with a friend of mine out of state to try and relax and regroup and just not have to think. It worked, except for the 4 hour drive home lol That's when it hit me that I needed out ASAP. I hadn't even begun to look for jobs yet or a place to stay so I was freaking out a bit. I posted a status on my Facebook saying that things were going to be changing and that I would love positive thoughts and prayers as I tried to figure out what my next move was going to be. When lo and behold a friend texted me. They just so happened to be in the market for a babysitter/nanny and they also had a spare bedroom that no one was using - would I want to come be their nanny. It was one of those things where it just felt right. I had no hesitations saying yes, so in less than 3 weeks I will be living in Colorado! It works out perfectly - it gave me time to put in my 2 weeks notice with my boss here, then I'll have a week off to pack and downsize things because basically I can only take what can fit in my car. And the last weekend of the month my friends from CO are actually coming back to Iowa to visit for the weekend, so I'll be able to fit a few things in their car too if needed :) It's exactly the change they were needing and it's a dream of mine to live in Colorado, and also the change I need too. Came a LOT quicker than I had anticipated, but I trust that God will provide what I need :)

And now onto the fish. The first thing in my head after being offered the job was "What am I going to do with my fish?!" I am lucky to have awesome friends and family - Pascal and Lady Icarus are going to my nieces, and Darryl is going to a classmate I graduated with and her girls. They'll be going to their new homes on Sunday :( I'll miss them SO much. I'm going to make a condition of their adoption that they must send me a picture every so often :) That leaves me with Yoshi, Gilligan, Nemo, and Alaric. Just 4 boys again. I'm really nervous about how I'm going to get them out there with me. I'm not scared of transporting them, I have containers that I'll use, but I'm worried about how I'm going to keep them warm during the 12 hour drive. Right now all I can think of to do is to keep their containers padded and insulated and sitting in my seat with the seat warmer on periodically. I'll open the lids every couple of hours to give them some fresh oxygen. Any other tips for such a long trip would be very welcomed!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #156 
Rosencrantz32

I'm so glad to hear your situation is looking better! I was sad to hear that your current environment was so bad for you and it's awesome to hear that you are able to get out of it so quickly! I hope everything involving the move goes smoothly and that you really enjoy your new job :)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #157 
TiffanyP

Thanks so much Rose :)

The 2 boys and Lady Icarus went to their new homes on Sunday and it was about as smooth of a transition as I could have asked for. Darryl's new owners were pretty excited to have him - a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The younger one kept saying Darryl so pretty! Darryl my fish! haha it was adorable :) And my nieces took Lady Icarus and Pascal - one's birthday was on the 14th and the other has a birthday on March 9 so they were their birthday presents and they were SO excited! SO so excited :) I know they'll take good care of them.

Now I'm just preparing for the 4 remaining boys and I to head to my parents this weekend where we will be living for the next week :) I am soooo excited to go to Colorado!! Thanks for checking in!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #158 
TiffanyP

Hello! Tomorrow is moving day! I'm both crazy excited and at the same time dreading it lol I've caught a cold so my energy is sitting at about zero right now :/ And it's absolutely frigid out so that's going to make packing my car just oh so much fun *sarcasm* lol

We're leaving at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow so as much as I hate to, I have to put the boys in their cups tonight to get their tanks disassembled for tomorrow. I'm freaking out a little bit trying to figure out how I'm going to keep them warm overnight. I think what I'm going to do is get them in their cups and then into the container they're going to ride in (padded/insulated with a couple of towels). And then sit them near a space heater overnight. That's about the only thing I can think of to do so that their temperature doesn't drop too drastically... Hoping that will work. They're getting fresh water before they are put in their cups and they'll hopefully be in them for less than 24 hours.

Everything else about the move seems to be going smoothly :) Next time I post will be in Colorado!! Wheee!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #159 
DaytonBetta

I hope your trip goes great!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #160 
TiffanyP

Hello from Colorado!! We all made it here in one piece, though the boys were most definitely NOT happy about the whole thing lol Yoshi, who is usually a gorgeous black, was dulled down to a see through grey :( He's colored right back up though after being in some fresh warm water. They're mad at me for not feeding them tonight lol but they need to just kind of be still for a bit before I feed them. Probably tomorrow morning :)

I think the drive might have been more stressful to me lol I caught a cold, as I mentioned in my last post, so off and on the whole way here (all 14 hours of it!) I was sneezing and blowing my nose lol Do you know how hard it is to blow your nose while driving 75 mph down the interstate? Very hard lol However I think I have mastered the skill! Hopefully it's not a skill I'll have to use often though :P

I'll try and take some pics of the boys after more unpacking happens and some things get settled - for now, I'm off to bed! I'm somehow still running off of less than 2 hours of sleep and that needs to change :) Thanks for checking in!